running rough

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jettysmoke

running rough

Post by jettysmoke »

Hi All
I recently bought an '03 Firestorm, that had been sitting for awhile. When I first got it it ran fine, I was tidying it up to get it registered, and would start it every other day. I got it to the point of being able to register -and while I had it idling, it sounded like it dropped a cylinder, and would no longer idle. I tried cranking it over but it wouldn't run without revving the crap out of it. Thinking it may have been fuel problems I cleaned the tank out inside and cleaned the filter, checked the vacuum petcock and made sure the vacuum line (to engine) was all good - they were.
I put everything back on the bike, and it ran ok for a minute or two then back to running rough.
I've checked that fuel lines aren't kinked - and both exhausts seem to be running at about the same temp...
Could it be an electrical problem???
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jchesshyre

Re: running rough

Post by jchesshyre »

Is the vacuum hose on the fuel tap connected to the stub on the side or on the bottom of the tap?
jettysmoke

Post by jettysmoke »

On the side
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sounds like a fuelling issue to me.start by checking that fuel is flowing out of the tank when a vacuum is applied.
If ok, pull the carbs off and make sure fuel is reaching them.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Have you taken the carbs off?, if you did re-check that all the connections are seated correctly and screw clips are tight on the carb inlets, eg the rubber inlets to the cylinder head from the carbs, maybe they are perished from sitting a long time and leaking to allow more air in.
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.