Starting problem

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mr2dogz

Starting problem

Post by mr2dogz »

Hi if anyone can help.I go to start the storm and she will only click or turn over one or two times and stop and after a minute of doing that she will turn over fine and start. :confused
Cadbury64

Re: Starting problem

Post by Cadbury64 »

I'd suggest your first possible cause is a dying battery. You could try using a jumper cable from a car battery and see if the starting improves. If not then I would start looking for corrosion along the path that feeds the starter motor, e.g. the 30A fuse, solenoid and then at the starter itself. Don't neglect the ground side of the equation.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
mr2dogz

Post by mr2dogz »

I will have a look tomorrow.
Cheers peter
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

battery dying on you. these things need tip top batteries to function properly.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I should add, just jumpering from a good battery won't guarantee a start if the "bad" battery is still in the circuit. If the "bad" battery has an internal short (and that is a typical failure mode) this can prevent enough current reaching the solenoid or starter to turn the engine over, and you may notice the jumper cables getting hot as well. You may need to pull the "bad" battery out of the circuit when jumping the bike.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

I've got the same problem, and it's with a new Yuasa battery.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
minio

Post by minio »

As crazy as it sounds I used to have a similar problem. Bike would struggle to start and even if it did it would cut off and die after a minute or two. It would refuse to start for a while and then after 5 or so minutes it would start again.
I suspected the battery but after fitting a freshly charged (proven) battery the problem was still there.

In the end I traced it to the fuel lines under the tank. I am not sure why or how but I must have fitted them the wrong way round. Once they were all in the right places boom, the bike runs and starts fine.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

You probably had the vac hose on the wrong spigot.It seems everybody does it once.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
minio

Post by minio »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:32 pm You probably had the vac hose on the wrong spigot.It seems everybody does it once.
Most probably, yes.
Boy, was I relieved when she started fine and was running smooth.

It may or may not be the issue with the OP's bike but it is quick and easy fix so it is worth checking.