Water pump mechanical seal?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Am I right in thinking that coolant from the little spigot on the water pump cover = time for a new mechanical seal?

If so, that's a f*cking joke, as it was replaced when my bike was repaired after a crash only a year ago, and so would be yet another thing that the guy who worked on it hasn't done properly. I shouldn't slag him off too much though as when I went back there the other day I was told he'd died of a heart attack three months ago, RIP.
tony.mon

Re: Water pump mechanical seal?

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, new seal time.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I shouldn't slag him off too much though as when I went back there the other day I was told he'd died of a heart attack three months ago, RIP.
:lol: :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

jchesshyre wrote:Am I right in thinking that coolant from the little spigot on the water pump cover = time for a new mechanical seal?

If so, that's a f*cking joke, as it was replaced when my bike was repaired after a crash only a year ago, and so would be yet another thing that the guy who worked on it hasn't done properly. I shouldn't slag him off too much though as when I went back there the other day I was told he'd died of a heart attack three months ago, RIP.
I fitted a new mechanical seal on my storm after powdercoating the casings and it was checked and seemed fine on the workshop day at Macs but when the bike was run up it failedImage

To be fair it wasn’t a genuine Honda part so may well be the case with yours and may not the actual fitment of the installation.

Hope you get it sorted I just used another casing I had and sprayed it to match the powdercoating Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Duffy1964 wrote:

I fitted a new mechanical seal on my storm after powdercoating the casings and it was checked and seemed fine on the workshop day at Macs but when the bike was run up it failedImage

To be fair it wasn’t a genuine Honda part so may well be the case with yours and may not the actual fitment of the installation.

Hope you get it sorted I just used another casing I had and sprayed it to match the powdercoating Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was a Honda one, which I'd splashed £50 out on Image

Thanks though, hopefully I'll fit it properly myself!

Incidentally, this has happened after I nipped up the clutch and water pump cover bolts which were not tight enough which I was alerted to by a coolant leak from the water pump cover. I think this might also explain the bit of oil mayonnaise I noticed in the valve cover breather hose recently.

When I'm replacing the mechanical seal should I also get a new water pump cover gasket? I'm guessing I should and they're only a fiver.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No, if it's not torn just add a very light smear of silicon, but make sure the the route to the drain spigot remains clear.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

jchesshyre wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:38 pm Am I right in thinking that coolant from the little spigot on the water pump cover = time for a new mechanical seal?

I see folks install a new seal and bugger the job often...I wont say you cant do it with a socket and hammer, Im saying a lot of folks screw it up doing so... :lol:

Or they do not realize the impeller shaft is is worn to the point , new seal or not it will leak again soon.. Of damage the bearing with previously mentioned hammer, or not realize its already worn

Dont forget the impeller must be installed to a specific depth with very small margin of error,,,otherwise it will rub the case, or the cover.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

E.Marquez wrote:
jchesshyre wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:38 pm Am I right in thinking that coolant from the little spigot on the water pump cover = time for a new mechanical seal?

I see folks install a new seal and bugger the job often...I wont say you cant do it with a socket and hammer, Im saying a lot of folks screw it up doing so... Image

Or they do not realize the impeller shaft is is worn to the point , new seal or not it will leak again soon.. Of damage the bearing with previously mentioned hammer, or not realize its already worn

Dont forget the impeller must be installed to a specific depth with very small margin of error,,,otherwise it will rub the case, or the cover.
Thanks very much for the advice which I shall certainly heed.

Is it probably a good idea to buy a new bearing for the pump as well? It looks as if the process of removing it is likely to damage it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

while your in there for all the extra that little bearing would be id be changing it. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

jchesshyre wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:

I see folks install a new seal and bugger the job often...I wont say you cant do it with a socket and hammer, Im saying a lot of folks screw it up doing so... Image

Thanks very much for the advice which I shall certainly heed.

Is it probably a good idea to buy a new bearing for the pump as well? It looks as if the process of removing it is likely to damage it.
Yes replace the bearing

Look hard at the impeller for wear or damage

Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Weirdly, the leaking has stopped. Can a leak from a failed mechanical seal ever be intermittent?

I did have a coolant leak recently around the water pump which was caused by loose bolts on the water pump and clutch cover (again because the bloke, now deceased, who fixed my bike a year ago seems to have had a habit of under-tightening bolts). The leak from the spigot started the next time I rode after nipping these bolts up. It definitely was dripping from the spigot, whereas the first leak was definitely from the edges of the water pump cover. Is it possible that the first leak caused part of the pump to fill up with coolant which then gradually came out and has now all gone? I've never had the water pump apart so I'm not familiar with its structure.

I've gone for two half-hour rides, today and yesterday, and nothing more has come out of the spigot. And the cooling system is working fine and normally, so it's not just because all the coolant has drained out :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The seal is ceramic and needs to wear in and si if you have"nipped up" the housing mounting bolts it may nionger seal neatly and requires a bit of running until it seals properly once more
If it's not leaking, leave well enough alone.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

That's a damn relief as I wasn't looking forward to doing the job much. Thanks Tony. I've been for two more rides and there's not a drop leaking so looks like I'm in the clear.