Clutch case bolt torque settings Please

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mauser5826

Clutch case bolt torque settings Please

Post by Mauser5826 »

I have had a look in the search box, but it comes up blank. so for the sake of searching through loads of posts. can someone tell me the torque settings for the clutch case bolts please. I take it wont be much?

MacV2

Re: Clutch case bolt torque settings Please

Post by MacV2 »

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I found it quite hard to find the value in the manual as it's not listed specifically but rather as '6 mm flange bolt, 8 mm head, small flange' (assuming that's correct and it's not the 'large flange' version) and the value for that is 10 Nm.
Mauser5826

Post by Mauser5826 »

Cheers guys. And thanks for the PDF manual Mac. that will come in very handy of the coming months :thumbup:
:beer:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just nip the up by feel. What's more important with things like that is to tighten them evenly and in a criss cross pattern.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Mauser5826

Post by Mauser5826 »

:thumbup:
VTRDark wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:27 am Just nip the up by feel. What's more important with things like that is to tighten them evenly and in a criss cross pattern.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

VTRDark wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:27 am Just nip the up by feel. What's more important with things like that is to tighten them evenly and in a criss cross pattern.
Quite agree. I have a number of torque wrenches of different values and I'm becoming very wary of using them. With experience you get a feel for these things and my general SOP is to tighten things to as little as possible and, if you are worried they might come undone, use a thread locking compound. I use a lot of copaslip as well to stop corrosion which provides lubricant for the thread.

The Aprilias are know to crack the sump when the sump plug is over-tightened. Torque settings are usually given for a dry and clean thread and, of course, that rarely happens with a sump plug. Lubrication can reduce the torque required to produce the required bolt expension and clamping force by up to 50%. An oily thread can then be very overtightened using specified torque with unwanted consequences.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Mauser5826

Post by Mauser5826 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:13 am
Quite agree. I have a number of torque wrenches of different values and I'm becoming very wary of using them. With experience you get a feel for these things and my general SOP is to tighten things to as little as possible and, if you are worried they might come undone, use a thread locking compound. I use a lot of copaslip as well to stop corrosion which provides lubricant for the thread.

The Aprilias are know to crack the sump when the sump plug is over-tightened. Torque settings are usually given for a dry and clean thread and, of course, that rarely happens with a sump plug. Lubrication can reduce the torque required to produce the required bolt expension and clamping force by up to 50%. An oily thread can then be very overtightened using specified torque with unwanted consequences.
possibly a daft question, Are you saying you use Locking compound and copper grease, or one or the other? As i have never used both in the fear it would counter act the locking compound.

Cheers
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Sometimes copaslip. Sometimes locking compound but, as you say, never the both together. Sometimes nothing at all....

I HATE aluminium screwed fixings. A work of the devil. If I HAVE to use them (e.g. flywheel inspection caps) they will never go in dry.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)