Check your diaphragm

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
E.Marquez

Check your diaphragm

Post by E.Marquez »

No lady's not THAT diaphragm .:p..the carb vacuum piston diaphragm.
A fellow SH owner was in need of a new one due to his having a hole.... I had a bunch of spares so sent him one........he found a crack in the rubber...so I said Id send him another....... I went though 5 sets of spare carbs to find ONE diaphragm without cracks or holes rubbed in them. so from 10 vacuum pistons I had, 9 were bad with holes and cracks in the rubber diaphragm.
Of course I had to check the set on my bike now......and sure enough even though I felt no runability issues, the front one had a small crack in the rubber..likely not leaking much if at all, but it would have soon.

So two new ones ordered up at $62 a piece .. Surprising, that's cheaper then the smaller one I replace all the time on our training bikes..that little mikuni 28mm carb piston is $78.. But a whole new carb is only $198....wish the carbs on our bike were that cheap to replace. ($400 a piece)

So get busy, and check those rubbers for holes boys...lol
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
jchesshyre

Re: Check your diaphragm

Post by jchesshyre »

Of the three sets of carbs I have, two have the problems you describe with their diaphragms. I hadn't noticed at first as the cracks are pretty hard to see.

Do we blame age, or ethanol, both, something else?

It's annoying that new pistons aren't cheaper, or that good pattern ones aren't available.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Check your diaphragm

Post by sirch345 »

You certainly don't want a hole in your rubber :wink: :lol:

Thanks Eric for pointing this out, it could I'm sure help save any of us sometime,

Chris.