battery

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mr dave

battery

Post by mr dave »

any one else experienced a loud whistling noise with smoke and fumes coming from their battery ? mine did this recently while out on a run luckily i had purchased a new one a few days before as i suspected the battery wasnt as strong as it had been. I took my wifes bike and went home got the replacement and fitted it at the side of the road, on arriving home i felt the new battery and it felt quite warm im not sure if it should feel warm as ive never had call to feel it before , my other bikes battery does not heat up but the VTR battery is pretty close to the cylinder head where as my other bikes battery is in a well ventilated part of that bike. So the question is am i being paranoid or should i be looking for a reason for the battery to have fried the way it did (it was a reasonably old battery) I dont really want to fry the new battery if there could be an underlying problem
tony.mon

Re: battery

Post by tony.mon »

The regulator rectifier has failed.
Get a meter on the battery; Anything more than fifteen volts while running confirms my diagnosis.
Don't ride it , as you will kill the new battery as well.
The reg rec is a known weak point but you can get a MOSFET reg rec which will solve the problems.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mr dave

Post by mr dave »

checked the voltage with warm engine new battery headlight on fullbeam at 5000 revs reading was low 13.45v which according to the manual is too low would this still indicate the reg rectifier?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

dave... if the battery is getting hot it's the R/R without a doubt... Take off the seat plastics to reveal the R/R pull the block conector out & visualy check for signs of burning to the block or the wires...prob be both.

If the R/R is the origonal it will be a small black block about 3'' x 2'' ...take it off & throw it in the nearest bin !

They are called rectum friers for a reason. :lol: :lol:

Later bikes came with a finned R/R to help cooling but they can still fail.

What you need to do is fit a more modern Mossfet type R/R & hope the failing one you have hasn't burnt the loom too much.

Old finned type v's Mosfett, this is on my F2 so looks a bit diferent to an early Storm.

Mosfet as fitted to an early Storm...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mr dave

Post by mr dave »

this is what i have mine has one 5 wired plug and an earth, Ive had a look on Ebay and the prices seem to vary wildly from £6.45 direct from china upto £120, I was in a dealers today and the guy phoned his supplier who gave a price of £45 for a chinese one and £80 for a jap one ( the dealer didnt realize i could here both sides of the convo and heard the supplier quoting him £28 for the chinese one). Ive bought things from china before for pennies and bought the exact same item in the UK for a huge mark up. really dont mind where it comes from just dont like getting ripped off.
Attachments
P1020287.JPG
mr dave

Post by mr dave »

im looking at one from M and P reduced from £59 to £19.99 and its identical to the one from Hong Kong for £6.65
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

mr dave wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:23 pm im looking at one from M and P reduced from £59 to £19.99 and its identical to the one from Hong Kong for £6.65
Please no I implore you - get a MOSFET FH020

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ty#p351482
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

He's right, get a MOSFET one
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yep you have a standar one as they came from the factory...

As pointed out by Wicky they are shite & thats whats causing your problems...

You need 1x Honda part number..BIN IT 999.

Get on ebay & search BMW S1000r regulator rectifier... plenty out there prices vary from 50 to 100 + often found cheaper in USA but postage & customs charges may push prices up... see my earlier post re how they look...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-BMW-S10 ... SwJqNbKnts

Quick before i buy that one it's cheap !

You can get a fitting kit for them but not really ness IMO as long as you use some heat shrink & dialetric grease...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regulator-Re ... SwvjBbDESh
mr dave

Post by mr dave »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Regula ... &hash=item seen this at £20 is it the correct one when I search Ebay for a mossfet HONDA FIRESTORM specific one the price rises to over £100
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

mr dave wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:09 pm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Regula ... &hash=item seen this at £20 is it the correct one when I search Ebay for a mossfet HONDA FIRESTORM specific one the price rises to over £100
Yes but personaly I wouidnt go there...cheap for a reason i.e. it won't be the same spec as a BMW one...prob made in the same factory TBH but i bet the BMW ones will be higher spec...

That could even be a normal shunt type made to look like a mossfet... 8O