Timing- / cam-alignment, new CCT's, valves...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
vivec

Re: Timing- / cam-alignment, new CCT's, valves...

Post by vivec »

I have rectified this mixup :thumbup: !

I have now also done the shims. They're not exactly (to the hundreds) exact since that's difficult. My feelergauges have only '.05' milimeter variances so the shims are now at least 0.05 milimeter within spec :D .
Had to change out only 2 out of 8, switched 2 which matched among themselves.

Rotated the engine around about 20 times now, and it all goes smooth. I've tensioned the MCCT's like people say; manually tight and then some back. Also, measured chain slack and that's on 6 milimeters (movement up and down between cam-sprockets).

This writeup has been my bible: viewtopic.php?t=28583

Next up;
  • - compression checks on both cylinders
    - putting stuff back, just enough for a start and idle
    - cheering or crying stage
    - putting all other stuff back
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:lol: no worries mate, glad to hear you are getting there :clap:

I have to say Carl (VTRDark) did a good job with the Manual CCT installation guide,

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:44 am :lol: no worries mate, glad to hear you are getting there :clap:

I have to say Carl (VTRDark) did a good job with the Manual CCT installation guide,

Chris.
It has been a great help to many including myself
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
vivec

Post by vivec »

OK, so... I promised myself this wouldn't happen to me. Made pictures before and during...

And still, for the life of me...

Where does the '3rd end' of the 3 way vacuum (or overflow) tube go?
1 end goes to the fuel tank / petcock, 1 end just points down on the left hand side of the engine, BUT THE 3RD ONE??? Wheeeeere?? :confused

Again, it's the only 3-way tube on the bike. There's this T-part in/on it. I hope you guys know what I'm talking about...
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

On the tap little nipple at back

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Aha you know what it is black and yellow...black and yellow !!!
vivec

Post by vivec »

'tap' as in fuel tap? Because that's 1 of the 2 I had figured out I think :wink: .

Isn't it supposed to go on the carb somewhere?!
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

If there is a T piece on it connects to rear cylinder and fuel tap

vivec

Post by vivec »

Neh, you probably mean a tube which has been split for carb synching.

That's not it. My rear cylinder has a singular tube going to the tap.

Since 1 end goes down the lefst side of the engine, and those tubes should be:
  • FUEL TANK BREATHER TUBE
  • FUEL TANK DRAIN TUBE
  • RADIATOR RESERVE TANK OVERFLOW TUBE
Both fuel lines are already pointing toward the (not there) fueltank.
So then it has to be the radiator reserve tank overflow tube... but why would there be a split in that one, and why does 1 also go towards the petcock / fueltank direction...

I should've made even more pictures...
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

The expansion tank pipe is nowhere near the carb lines...if u have a T piece on its the rear vac

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

If you have a t-peice in the vac line the the free end is for conection to either carb sync (block after use.) or maybe there was/is a scottoiler.

To do the carb sync there should be a take off fitted to the front cylinder as well. This is located on the right hand side of the front cylinder below the carb intake. If it has a tube on it thats your carb sync tube. If there is no tube or take off fitted it will have a allen head bolt in the hole.

The vac tube for the petcock is on the L/H side of the rear cylinder, again just below the carb intake. There should be a take off point there as std unlike the front...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:40 pm Image

If you have a t-peice in the vac line the the free end is for conection to either carb sync (block after use.) or maybe there was/is a scottoiler.

To do the carb sync there should be a take off fitted to the front cylinder as well. This is located on the right hand side of the front cylinder below the carb intake. If it has a tube on it thats your carb sync tube. If there is no tube or take off fitted it will have a allen head bolt in the hole.

The vac tube for the petcock is on the L/H side of the rear cylinder, again just below the carb intake. There should be a take off point there as std unlike the front...
Your handy work Mac :?: brilliant :thumbup:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:27 pm

Chris.
Indeed it is Chris, I like to call the second pic... VLFURP...

Vac Line Fek Up Reminder Pic... :lol: :lol:
vivec

Post by vivec »

OK, so my 'mysterious split tube' is 'A' in the picture posted by MacV2.

This one goes down through the bike (righthand side) then splits into 2 of which 1 goes (in front of the front cilinder) to the 'down-pointing-tube-collection' on the left side of the bike (next to the alternator cover).
The other one is dangling... since I don't know where it goes...

The tube coming from the rear cilinder (just below carb-rubber) is the 'VAC' line in MacV2's picture. That line isn't split, and is relatively short compared to the earlier mentioned split one.

I've never disconnected the rear-cilinder-vac-line and also never removed any of the lines that point downward on the left-side of the bike.
That's how I know which line is which and that I didn't switch them :wink: .

This whole 3-way tube / line seems to be there for absolutely nothing.
Might as well switch it with the 'rear cilinder vac line' since I then have a split tube for carb-syncing.

Still strange...
Perhaps the previous owner reconnected things awkward...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:30 am
sirch345 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:27 pm

Chris.
Indeed it is Chris, I like to call the second pic... VLFURP...

Vac Line Fek Up Reminder Pic... :lol: :lol:
:lol: trust you :)

As I don't think we have anything like your photo's showing were each pipe goes (anyone please correct me if we have), would it be possible Mac, for you to start a new thread in the " The Workshop Knowledgebase" with these two photo's and the explanation you have given above :?:

It will then be easier to link to it in the future, rather than it being lost in this topic,

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:11 pm

As I don't think we have anything like your photo's showing were each pipe goes (anyone please correct me if we have), would it be possible Mac, for you to start a new thread in the " The Workshop Knowledgebase" with these two photo's and the explanation you have given above :?:

It will then be easier to link to it in the future, rather than it being lost in this topic,

Chris.
Not sure I'll have time to do that in the next 8 weeks but I'll see if I can sort it out...If I can be bovered... :lol: :lol: