When to change cam chain??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
vestphaelpower

When to change cam chain??

Post by vestphaelpower »

Hi guyes. I'm new on this forum, since I've just last wedensday bought my 1. Firestorm. A 1997 with 75K km on the clock, but still a fantastic bike. After reading a lot about the CCT I'm so nerveous that I almost don't dare to start the engine anymore, cause I don't know when the CCT has been changed, and the previous owner doesnt either. I don't think it makes the ratteling sound, but I need to chaeck up on it!
However, I don't see anything on when the cam chain should be replaced, does anyone know this. I figure I'll do both at the same time. But of course only the CCT if the chain is not needed to be replaced.
I can also see that everybody reccomends getting a manual CCT? Right?

Whish you all the best:)
Greetings from Denmark
MacV2

Re: When to change cam chain??

Post by MacV2 »

They don't rattle & give any warning TBH, they just fail...

Get a picture up of one of the CCT's, rear is easy to see...

It will show if it's std or a manual... However it may have had whats known as 'stopper mod' done to it which other than taking it apart you won't be able to see.

As for the cam chain it's unlikely to need changing...

Get some manual CCT's & fit them anyway...

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28583
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
vestphaelpower

Post by vestphaelpower »

Thx a lot for your reply! I'll check to see which CCT is on the rear cylinder. Nice to know the chain don't need replacement.

BR Simon:)
vestphaelpower

Post by vestphaelpower »

Here is a picture og the cct.... Looks like it is an original Honda cct.
Attachments
IMG_20180813_145415.jpg
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yup - Junk ASAP and fit manuals

Krieger, APE, Bazza and Ade Whitmarsh's CCT's
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
vestphaelpower

Post by vestphaelpower »

Thx man! Appreciate it a lot! Guess I'll order from Krieger then.

BR
Simon
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Try Rob de Hoo in the Nertherlands

https://exhausist.com/cct-prices-shipping
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
vestphaelpower

Post by vestphaelpower »

Thanks, just sent him a mail. Can't wait to get it don. Perhaps I'll get a workshop to do it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

follow the guide on here how to do it. if you take your time its easy.. a lot of shops mess it up because they are used to doing il4s....
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
vestphaelpower

Post by vestphaelpower »

I actually thought the same thing, so I'm gonna do it my self. Just ordered a set of Kriegers from Rob (Exhautist), and figured I'll do it myself.
My only concern i hos to get the right tension on the chain, but I'll try to hit the 5-7 mm which is advised.
The thing is, I almost don't dare to start my bike anymore before they are changed:(
kvandahl

Post by kvandahl »

Hi,

I just changed to Kriegers and followed the detailed description that follows in the package from Rob (Exhautist). But in addition I removed the chain guard so I could measure the slack properly. The description says "fingerthight, turn engine one turn anti clock wise keep finger tightening while turning, and then back out 1/8 turn, but I choose 1/6 out, since 1/6 turn is much easier to be precise on and the slack will be 6-7mm. Here is how my slack was after 1/6 out on the rear (I did not open the front cover): https://photos.app.goo.gl/TcqSKr6CpkjKSsx89
With this my bike runs without rattle and no whining.

Only thing I did wrong was that I re-connected the vacum hose to the wrong tap on the petcock (use the one on the back of the petcock, not the one turning down like I did). I was not a good feeling to start up the bike after changing to MCCTs and not be able to rev the bike :oops:

Be careful when tightening the bolts to the cam cover and the bolts to the top cover.

BTW: Just did the TPS mod and adjusted it from 824 to 603 Ohms, and now it is like a new bike :D Perhaps I will remove the TPS again and file the brass spacers a bit more and hopefully get it down to 500 Ohms.
Zundapp GTS 50
Suzuki ER 50
Kawasaki GT 100
Suzuki GT 380
Honda CB 1100 Super Wobbledoor
Firestorm
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

kvandahl wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:00 pm Hi,

Only thing I did wrong was that I re-connected the vacum hose to the wrong tap on the petcock (use the one on the back of the petcock, not the one turning down like I did). I was not a good feeling to start up the bike after changing to MCCTs and not be able to rev the bike
Almost everyone has made the same mistake.You only do it once though.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:57 pm
kvandahl wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:00 pm Hi,

Only thing I did wrong was that I re-connected the vacum hose to the wrong tap on the petcock (use the one on the back of the petcock, not the one turning down like I did). I was not a good feeling to start up the bike after changing to MCCTs and not be able to rev the bike
Almost everyone has made the same mistake.You only do it once though.
Strange enough a fella messaged me earlier and said his bike was running very rough. Said he had his tank off to remove the restrictors in the later model carbs. Showed him a pic of how the pipes are supposed to go on the tank... his weren't that way...changer and hey presto bike runs well. Very common. Did it myself
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
vestphaelpower

Post by vestphaelpower »

Thx for your replys! I'm excited to make the operation my self. BTW, what is the TPS mod? :)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

vestphaelpower wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 am Thx for your replys! I'm excited to make the operation my self. BTW, what is the TPS mod? :)
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=29429#p276330
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...