Reculator/Rectifier

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
MacV2

Re: Reculator/Rectifier

Post by MacV2 »

Well thats the old type which are prone to failure.

If its done that to your battery it's a sign of over charging.

It's good that you have no burning in the block so that should be good to go...

I'd deff change that R/R & ovbiously you need a new battery...

The way to tell if it's working/charging corectly is to put a meter on it...

With the engine running you should get a reading of 13.5 to 14.5v for a healthy one...

I've got a finned one plug & play for sale at the moment... viewtopic.php?f=38&t=42742#p467303

£10 + postage...

Also have a good Stator which I still thing it would be worth checking on yours...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

Whats this called.
20181013_202213.jpg
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

Cheers. I am going to a local classic bike show tomorrow so i will let you know. If i take the cover off the stator do i need to remove the stator or is it just a visual check from the one side...thanks.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Bin it

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Geeman wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:44 pm Whats this called.20181013_202213.jpg
HT ignition coil,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's worth noting that if the reg rec fails and outs out too many volts the sparks fail and donut seems like the could have gone.
It ain't necessarily so, change the RR and all should return to normal, assuming the battery is ok.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:26 pm
This one I unpicked the block & used the origonal crimps...I have since added heat shrink to give it a bit of protection...
The original terminals and wiring was marginal when new, and did not get better with age.
I realize not everyone will want to or has the tools to do new terminals and wire correctly and Id bet how you did it Mac is better the a stock plug and RR, so still a good plan.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Geeman wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 pm Hi..i have seen the link to the fella that does the full rewiring kit and regulator from the States. Is there anybody in the uk that does the same or similar kit. Cheers
That US fella has sent that kit to VTR riders in more than a few outside the US locations.

:biggrin
No really its true, I know him well......like really/
well...
Post event services

Total Rider
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:42 pm It's worth noting that if the reg rec fails and outs out too many volts the sparks fail and donut seems like the could have gone.
It ain't necessarily so, change the RR and all should return to normal, assuming the battery is ok.
donut?????
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Geeman wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:49 pm Hi there...i have seen a mosfet RR on ebay for 50 quid...genuine BMW one. Its a 012 not a 020 is this any good for a VTR...Cheers
Yes a FH012 is MOSFET and 35amp rated, which works well with the VTR 280 watt alternator (roughly 23 amps @ 12vdc).

An FH020 or FH012 used that checks out is a solid upgrade that will last the life of the bike if installed correctly.
Post event services

Total Rider
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Geeman wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:55 pm
tony.mon wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:42 pm It's worth noting that if the reg rec fails and outs out too many volts the sparks fail and donut seems like the could have gone.
donut?????
Donut...

Coils/stator/donut...This makes the electrickery, the flywheel spins inside this & creates a curent, this is then carried to the R/R where it's converted by more electrickery from DC to AC which then charges the battery...

Your R/R is putting out too much Volts into the charging system so has cooked the battery, thats overheated hence the swelling...

I blame the Amp Fairies or is it the Ohm Trolls ? Bloody Whitchcraft Electrickery I tell ye!... :crazy:

To check the stator you can just unbolt the cover & pull it off...I t may take a tug as the flywheel is baiscaly a big magnet but dont do it on the side stand or you will spill oil...Padock or Abba stand but still use a drip tray...You'll probably need a new gasket as well...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Not quite what I had in mind re donut- that was just the spellchecker changing a word for me.....
What I was trying to say was that when there are too many volts going into the coil, the spark at the plug isn't stronger, it is worse.
That makes you think that the coil may have failed when you get misfires, whereas in fact it's a sign that the reg rec needs checking.

In your case the hit and swollen battery is a slightly bigger and more obvious clue......

But what I was getting to was that, after changing the reg rec and battery the coil will usually be fine.

But I might start calling the stator a donut from now on, as it can get fried and hot, leading to it burning out. And probably soaks up a similar amount of oil.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:01 am Not quite what I had in mind re donut- that was just the spellchecker changing a word for me.....
What I was trying to say was that when there are too many volts going into the coil, the spark at the plug isn't stronger, it is worse.
That makes you think that the coil may have failed when you get misfires, whereas in fact it's a sign that the reg rec needs checking.

In your case the hit and swollen battery is a slightly bigger and more obvious clue......

But what I was getting to was that, after changing the reg rec and battery the coil will usually be fine.

But I might start calling the stator a donut from now on, as it can get fried and hot, leading to it burning out. And probably soaks up a similar amount of oil.
Bliddy spolchicker drivs mi op tha will...
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:12 pm Well thats the old type which are prone to failure.

If its done that to your battery it's a sign of over charging.

It's good that you have no burning in the block so that should be good to go...

I'd deff change that R/R & ovbiously you need a new battery...

The way to tell if it's working/charging corectly is to put a meter on it...

With the engine running you should get a reading of 13.5 to 14.5v for a healthy one...

I've got a finned one plug & play for sale at the moment... viewtopic.php?f=38&t=42742#p467303

£10 + postage...

Also have a good Stator which I still thing it would be worth checking on yours...
Hi there. I am going to check the stator this afternoon but i would like the RR off you please. Will put a picture of the stator on later and you can say yeh or nah if its any good...cheers.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Geeman wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi there. I am going to check the stator this afternoon but i would like the RR off you please. Will put a picture of the stator on later and you can say yeh or nah if its any good...cheers.
You have a PM sir...