Checking cam chain stopper mod

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bobbler

Checking cam chain stopper mod

Post by bobbler »

Before I go out and buy some mcct's for the storm I wanted to make sure a previous owner hasn't done the stopper mod. I haven't had it long and although the bike looks pretty unloved externally it has had a couple of bits done like the reg-rec etc.

Is there a way to check if the stopper mod has been done without stripping the bike as if they are going to have to come out to check I might as well put mcct's in and be done with it.
AMCQ46

Re: Checking cam chain stopper mod

Post by AMCQ46 »

yes you can check fairly easly if you follow the following steps.

us the rear CCT as a test as it is easy to get to.

1) take the 8mm bolt off the end of the CCT, it will leak some oil butt don't worry about that, it will not be much.
2) get a small electrical screw driver and put it into the end of the CCT and twiddle gently till you feel it catch on a slot on the internal mechanism.
3) rotate the screwdriver anti clockwise, counting the turns, BUT VERY SLOWLY AND NO MORE THAN 3 TURNS, you don't want to get the cam chain too lose as it might jump a tooth
4) if you hit a solid stop before 3 turns [should be at 1.5 turns] you have stoppers, if you get to 3 and it is still moving, then they are standard.
AMcQ
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:49 am yes you can check fairly easly if you follow the following steps.

1) take the 8mm bolt off the end of the CCT, it will leak some oil butt don't worry about that, it will not be much.
2) get a small electrical screw driver and put it into the end of the CCT and twiddle gently till you feel it catch on a slot on the internal mechanism.
3) rotate the screwdriver anti clockwise, counting the turns, BUT VERY SLOWLY AND NO MORE THAN 3 TURNS, you don't want to get the cam chain too lose as it might jump a tooth
4) if you hit a solid stop before 3 turns [should be at 1.5 turns] you have stoppers, if you get to 3 and it is still moving, then they are standard.
Thanks I'll give that a go. :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:49 am yes you can check fairly easly if you follow the following steps.

Al is almost right :wink:

No.3 should read "clockwise" not anti clockwise. Rotating the screwdriver anti clockwise will only increase the tension on the cam chain which will make you think you have the Stopper Mod done when you may not,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

cheers Chris, must have been too early for my brain :thumbup:
AMcQ
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

Thanks Chris, luckily I haven't got home to try it yet.

I'll give it a try over the next couple of days to find out for sure
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

No problem Al :thumbup:

Good luck Bobbler :thumbup:

Chris.