Clutch Problem

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
thunderbolt

Clutch Problem

Post by thunderbolt »

When riding my Firestorm and going through the gears the clutch lever comes half way in to the handlebar before I feel any pressure. I feel it is only just disengaging enough to make smooth gear changes. I feel it is only going to get worse.

Suggestions as to the issue. Is it just air in the system or a bigger issue possibly.

BTW I have not had anything apart to do with any of any of the clutch parts. Haven't had the gearbox cover off or anything like that.

Thanks
Don
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1977 Suzuki GS550/700 - modified significantly
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
2003 Honda Firestorm VTR1000
cheekykev

Re: Clutch Problem

Post by cheekykev »

A bit hard to give any help without seeing and trying it.
Without diving in too deep, I'd start at the beginning, so the first thing I'd do is take the engine oil filler cap off, pull the clutch lever as normal and look through the filler hole to see how much the clutch plates are moving and report back to us, if they're hardly moving it could be just air in the system
Is the lever firm or spongy ?
Is it old dark brown fluid in the reservoir ?
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

& lightning, it's very very frightening...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yep + 1 on what Kev said...

If the fluid is dark then change it... Can be a bit of a pain to bleed the clutch but keep going & it will come back.

Personaly I use a syringe to push the fluid in from the bottom.

Whilst the fluid is out take the opertunity to take off the sprocket cover & clean all the gunk that accumalates... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

First things first, fresh fluid, new fluid in, bled till just clean comes out slave, then back bleed the slave.

That should fix it for now...
Order parts to rebuild master and slave, do a detailed cleaning and replace all seals + worn parts.

Ride for another 10 years and do it all again.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:14 pm & lightning, it's very very frightening...
Galileo

:lol:
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Seems air in the circuit, you should try to change and bleed it. Is cheap and easy, and probably will solve your problem.
When install my new high handlebar I had to change the clutch line for the longer one that came with the kit, so, I had to disassemble completely the old one. The fluid were brown color, and there was a lot of black dirty inside the reservoir.
I did a complete cleaning disassembling also the main and slave pistons ( no o ring changed, only dissembling and cleaning with fresh dot4).
At firs time I had problems bleeding the system, ( no way to made it work) until y realize the way to do that.
push the lever a little, open the bleeding nut, now push the lever until the top, having the precaution of closing it before the lever is in full position, Release the lever, AND WAIT A FEW SECONDS. Repeat the process again.
Waiting a few seconds between one and the next try with the lever was the key to bleed it at the first try.
In the process of bleeding, I noticed in some point just the symptom that you describe, when were already air in the system.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

the rebuild kits for the slaves are only about £20 and a bottle of dot 4 and away you go..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: