Michelin tyres

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Michelin tyres

Post by jchesshyre »

Am I right in thinking that the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT would be somewhere between the Pilot Power range and the Pilot Road range in terms of grip vs longevity?

I'm running Pilot Road 2s at the mo and am due for a new rear tyre soon, and the Pilot Power 2CT is a tiny bit cheaper and I'm thinking of trying it. That said, if the mileage would be significantly less than I'm getting from the PR2s (got 7000 miles out of the last rear one) then the price difference may not be worth it.
lloydie

Re: Michelin tyres

Post by lloydie »

The 2ct grips well but you’ll be lucky to get 2k from it .
The pilot road 2 is much better for the storm and is the only tyre I’d fit to one
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I got 2500 out of a rear 2CT on an R6. Seemed OK but I was never totally happy with the bike. Tyres didn't give me any trouble though. I run Bridgestone BT016 on the Storm. An old tyre but they just seemed to work better than anything else I tried. I get about 3500 out of them but I'm inclined to replace tyres before they are fully worn out.

I hated the Bridgestone BT021 and was not overly impressed with the Metzeler Roadtec01.

As well known Yorkshireman of this parish commented to me, they are just black round things. Most problems are in your head.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I recently changed the Michelin Pilot Road 4's I had on my V-Strom. I got 8k miles out of the font and over 7k out of the rear and they were still legal and gripped well. The most impressive tyre I have ever used for all conditions.

The PR5's are even more impressive so far.

The performance and milage I am getting out of them means that they are better value for money than any other tyre I have used even though they are the most expensive tyre at the time when you get them fitted if that makes any sense.

Al.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Thank you guys, think I'll be sticking with the PR2s then. Available for £92 for a rear one on oponeo! Only £3 more than the Power 2CT so definitely worth it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

good info lads.. im wondering what to change to this winter. i tried a bike with the PR4s and thought they were good :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

fabiostar wrote:good info lads.. im wondering what to change to this winter. i tried a bike with the PR4s and thought they were good :clap:
Winter !!!!
I rode me blackbird throughout winter on pr2 and honestly it was the most fun I’ve ever had riding in -‘c conditions , warm up quick and the feel was amazing (never squared a tyre ) .
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i've used 2ct's for years, the max I've got from a rear is 3000 road miles. great tyre for feel and grip.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

For what its worth, last year i decided to try something completely different and got some Metzeler M7RRs.
It proved to be a good move, they worked well for the Storm and give great confidence in the wet, I got 3,500 miles out of the rear, I'm expecting 7 to 8,000 out of the front.
Not the cheapest, but what price do you put on your life.
i really liked them, I liked them that much I bought another set for my other Storm.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
popkat

Post by popkat »

I have M7RR on my storm, 1st rear lasted 2350 miles, probably could have got another 100 out of them, I was quite happy with that, put a new pair on and sold the front as a good 2nd hand.

I rode a bike the other day with Michelin road 5's on, I've fitted a few for people but this was the first time I'd used them, no idea what they are like in the wet (no tread near the edges) but in the dry they were great, gave good feeling and when I got back the edges were lightly pickling a bit, this is a sport touring tyre but must have sport compound on the edges. rode another of the same model bike on Dunlop roadsmarts and it didn't feel anywhere near as good.
Michelin pr3 or 4 I've never liked, they worked ok but were very vague when leant right over, felt like the bike would just fall over, also those Michelins suffer odd were patterns.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I’ve been thinking of trying the PR5s myself.
You are right, they do have sports rubber around the edges. The wet reports are really good too.
I was just worried they would be a big step backwards from the RR7 in the dry so I haven’t gone for them yet.
What’s the front end feel like in the dry? I normally ride the front quite hard and don’t want to give up the confidence I get with the 7’s. worth a punt in your opinion or not?

Pete.l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Pete, 5's on my bike that you want past me on in York earlier in the year. Didn't look like you had any issues with them. :crazy:
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
popkat

Post by popkat »

Pete.L wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:44 pm I’ve been thinking of trying the PR5s myself.
You are right, they do have sports rubber around the edges. The wet reports are really good too.
I was just worried they would be a big step backwards from the RR7 in the dry so I haven’t gone for them yet.
What’s the front end feel like in the dry? I normally ride the front quite hard and don’t want to give up the confidence I get with the 7’s. worth a punt in your opinion or not?

Pete.l

It was only a 20 minute ride Pete, all i can say is they felt very confident straight away, I don't know what they're like when a bike is over on it's ear but they seemed very good, much different to the PR4,
Technically they are not a PR5 as they've dropped the "pilot" bit so it's just a "road 5" :wink:

I like the M7rr too, I would need a decent summer ride on the 5's to compare the two of them, I THINK the M7 is more sporty and offers more grip but the 5 may offer enough for fast road riding.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

My little KTM has Metzeler M5 as OEM tyres and, although I've done less than 2000 miles on them I've been very impressed. The edges rough up nicely, they are showing very little wear and they have kept their shape.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

grumpyfrog wrote:Pete, 5's on my bike that you want past me on in York earlier in the year. Didn't look like you had any issues with them. :crazy:
I didn’t realise that! That must explain the puckered backside when I got homeImage

My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal