Bleeding Brakes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Boubepo

Bleeding Brakes

Post by Boubepo »

Ok I'm cheating a little here as this question isn't about my FireStorm but my daughters Honda XR 125 {I hope that's okay? and I'm assuming this question could apply to a FireStorm]

The bike has been standing for 2 or 3 years and the front brake calliper was totally seized and corroded, so Ive replaced it with what appears to be a good/working secondhand one

On replacing the fluid, with everything fitted and tightened up as it should and using a vacuum pump to draw in the new fluid, with no leaks on the vacuum side and no visible fluid leaks anywhere - the clear tubing attached to the pump eventually showed no more bubbles as I was expecting - Job done I thought

But however much I pump the brake lever, it just remains slack, I've rechecked for bubbles - doesn't appear to be any - Am I doing something stupidly wrong here? This looks a relatively simple job but it's got me pulling my hair out
MacV2

Re: Bleeding Brakes

Post by MacV2 »

Keep bleeding & bleeding...If the pistons were pushed back they can sometimes take a while to push out...

Also It's worth bleeding the M/C...LOADS of rags ! Then crack the banjo at the M/C...fluid will come out hence the rags but air can get trapped at that point...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
popkat

Post by popkat »

If you try everything right and still can't get a lever then it's likely the master cylinder is at fault.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Or you have air in the master cylinder , try pushing the fluid though the nipple and out the top banjo , it’s worth a go before replacing the master cylinder .

Is the calliper the same as the previous one ? Size wise ?
bigbadjonno

Post by bigbadjonno »

Took me about 3 hours to bleed the storm! Squeeze the lever, crack the nipple, close the nipple, squeeze the lever, crack the nipple, close the nipple..... On and on and on....
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

bigbadjonno wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:18 pm Took me about 3 hours to bleed the storm! Squeeze the lever, crack the nipple, close the nipple, squeeze the lever, crack the nipple, close the nipple..... On and on and on....
Attach some hose to the nipple and let it opened, just pump the lever until clean fluid go out. Bubbles go freely out and just fluid in, when pumping back. Then repeat on second caliper. This will save you at least two hours and half.

... And keep the reservoir opened during procedure