Fork Options

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
JMH1000UK

Fork Options

Post by JMH1000UK »

Hey all,

You may or may not have seen my fastly progressing build thread in the pimp my ride section.

One of my massive gripes with the bike is the lack lustre front end. Soft. Vague. Meh.

Granted, they’ve probably never had a service. So I think a flush and oil change would do the world of good. As a heavier rider perhaps a slightly heavier oil would help too.

What front ends fit the storms? I know the older fireblade ones do, but I was thinking USD......

Thanks in advance!
tony.mon

Re: Fork Options

Post by tony.mon »

Have a look in the knowledge base. Anything can be made to fit, but there are several tried and trusted options.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
JMH1000UK

Post by JMH1000UK »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 am Have a look in the knowledge base. Anything can be made to fit, but there are several tried and trusted options.
Thanks pal! :)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Or get them 'Rogered' http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk
The fork “tune” that I offer for Street and occasional Trackdays will cure all the well documented VTR front suspension issues.
It consists of different linear springs to suit your weight, different shims, different oil grade, different air gap, modified spacers, modified OEM valves, modified damper cartridge and modified damper rods. The cost of this is £275.00 (forks sent by Carrier) and this includes return carriage to any UK Mainland address.
If you wish the forks to be fully reconditioned with new oil and dust seals as well as replacement guiders and sliders there is an additional cost of £90.00
I generally receive forks on a Tuesday or Wednesday as the guys take them out over a weekend. If that happens I usually return the forks on Friday of the same week so they can re-install them over that weekend and can go for a “Sunday run”. Having said that, I do only work part time these days so you must contact me before you send the forks.
Here is the info I need inside the parcel:-

1) Your weight with your riding gear on
2) Your usage eg Street and occasional T/Days
3) Your RETURN address
4) Your daytime contact telephone number
5) Your Payment cheque for £275.00 (£365.00 reconditioned) or £385.00 (£475.00 reconditioned) made payable to R.J. DITCHFIELD
6) Send to:-

REVOLUTION RACING
SMITH GREEN DEPOT
STONEY LANE
GALGATE
LA2 0PX
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

for the USD options there are many options that have been tried and what you choose will depend on :
a) how many existing Storm parts you want to keep [wheel, calipers etc] and how much machining you want to do to get the yoke stem to fit the storm bearings.
b) you also have to look at the geometry effects, the length of the storm forks sit in the middle ground, they are longer than most sports bikes and they are shorter than most street / adventure bikes. differences here will effect the way the bike turns in. then you also have to look at the yoke you will use, it has to have the same offset as std or again this will be effecting the handling.

I went for a full Aprillia RSV4 front end [forks, yokes, wheel, disks, calipers, mudguard, spindle] and as I had flatbars on mine I used a Tuono yoke. main reason was that this is the same length as the storm forks and the yoke offset is also the same and also it allowed radial calipers, 320mm disks, and a light weight forged wheel.

link to the project is here RSV4 Forks

but its not a cheap solution, and you need someone who can do the yoke stem machining
Last edited by AMCQ46 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I had a Ducati 916/996 complete USD front end on mine with 320mm full floating discs with Brembo callipers and carbon fibre mudguard.I sold the bike to another member on here.Ask MacV2 nicely and he may put a few pictures up.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Honda 929/954 works well on mine. Nice to keep it in the Honda family, so to speak.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Here is an alternative from down under.

Works really well.

http://ozfirestorm.proboards.com/thread ... conversion.

:thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I’ve done a few but settled on aprilia rsv front end .
If your going to swap it out go mental
kemes

Post by kemes »

kenmoore wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:14 pm Here is an alternative from down under.

Works really well.

http://ozfirestorm.proboards.com/thread ... conversion.

:thumbup:
This looks nice...
2000' VTR1000 Firestrom