Suspension

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Dazza2910

Suspension

Post by Dazza2910 »

Just looking for some advice on what to do suspension wise. Planning on the odd track day. I'm not super fast, and don't want to spend mega money.

So not sure where changing the forks or just modifying what's there. Same with the rear shock. Replace it or just get a fresh standard one?

Cheers

Daz
popkat

Re: Suspension

Post by popkat »

Forks just change springs to linear for your weight, .85kg for about 11-12.5st, .90kg for 13-14.5st roughly speaking, for rear the standard shock isn't great, spring too stiff and not enough damping or range, best budget option is Nitron R1 version which has preload, rebound and ride height, they will make it for your weight and riding style.
When you fit them you can lengthen the shock by about 4 or 5mm or put a spacer on the top clevis, fit the springs with 10wt oil and 140mm air gap, then lower the front (raise the fork tubes in the yokes) 8-10mm.

K tech for springs about £85
fork oil £10-15
Shock £415
Total £515 and well spent as suspension makes you faster than race cans or jet kits :wink:

Do all that and you'll have a good track day bike.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

Heres probably the cheapest option to improve track handling (dives into corners a little easier)... Ive put a 5mm up to 10mm spacer between the rear shock and the top mount...Ive seen that others on the forum have done this as well with good results

You could swap the forks with something more track worthy fairly cheap. Im not sure what your exactly what models easiest... maybe look into fireblade or rc51 forks
good time to upgrade brakes as well.

After seeing this post I may do a swap.. has anyone done a swap here?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Get the forks 'Rogered'
The fork “tune” that I offer for Street and occasional Trackdays will cure all the well documented VTR front suspension issues.
It consists of different linear springs to suit your weight, different shims, different oil grade, different air gap, modified spacers, modified OEM valves, modified damper cartridge and modified damper rods. The cost of this is £275.00 (forks sent by Carrier) and this includes return carriage to any UK Mainland address.
If you wish the forks to be fully reconditioned with new oil and dust seals as well as replacement guiders and sliders there is an additional cost of £90.00
I generally receive forks on a Tuesday or Wednesday as the guys take them out over a weekend. If that happens I usually return the forks on Friday of the same week so they can re-install them over that weekend and can go for a “Sunday run”. Having said that, I do only work part time these days so you must contact me before you send the forks.
Here is the info I need inside the parcel:-

1) Your weight with your riding gear on
2) Your usage eg Street and occasional T/Days
3) Your RETURN address
4) Your daytime contact telephone number
5) Your Payment cheque for £275.00 (£365.00 reconditioned) or £385.00 (£475.00 reconditioned) made payable to R.J. DITCHFIELD
6) Send to:-

REVOLUTION RACING
SMITH GREEN DEPOT
STONEY LANE
GALGATE
LA2 0PX

http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk

Tel. 07970 915259
There's a few different shock option threads if you have a search - I've a fully rebuilt and serviced rear Ohlins for sale...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dazza2910

Post by Dazza2910 »

Dare I ask how much you want for the Ohlins.....

Like the idea of sending the forks away and getting that done.....
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

£600 + P&P

Invoice for rebuild and service: https://cl.ly/ec0eb6aa2b78/download/Ohlins-refurb.pdf
Last edited by Wicky on Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Wicky wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:19 am £600 :eek2 :D

Bargain when you think over £1000 new & its already been serviced...

I'd have that if I didnt already have one... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Dazza2910

Post by Dazza2910 »

Ooh, really want that!! Do you take PayPal credit!!