Stage 2 Cam Valve Springs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

Re: Stage 2 Cam Valve Springs

Post by fabiostar »

mik_str wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:20 pm
fabiostar wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:33 pm
Chris58 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:47 am

I bought them from a fella on kijiji (classified site). He said he had planed on building a race bike from parts he recieved from a previous owner, but he never did the build.
Im currently waiting on the parts... should be here Monday
Not sure if they are Moriwaki or not. He did not know!! Just said they are stage 2 cams. Custom H Beam Carillo rods, and polished balanced crank.

Anyone know if there is a way to identify moriwaki cams?

would you swap those rods for a nice kidney? low mileage with full service history lol..

regarding the mori cams i scratched my head and ended up getting the info from roger and i got a man who knows more about engines then me to measure them to confirm they were infact mori units.

the mori cams will let it hold onto power higher up but will need the mori or HRC ignition box (which i gather is the same thing) as mines not marked in anyway. but they also give a great boast through the midrange power and torgue wise. from memory mines at 78 flbs from just over 7.5k.
you can get Carrillo custom rods from them. They made a custom set for me a few years back and surely still have the specs. If you want more info PM me.

also, from what I remember from Roger, the HRC and Mori boxes are not quite the same. Remember that the HRC box does NOT have a rev limiter (found that out the hard way). An Ignitech box could be the best way to go (programmable - tried two back in the day but could never get them to work, though others have)
mine must be the HRC box then, i found it sitting in the original rear subframe when i bought it, a tad lucky :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

mik_str wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:45 pm you may also want to look at RC51 (SP-1/SP-2 for our Euro friends) springs. I did some research a while back and noted said bikes use the same retainers (and cotters) as the VTR, which implies their springs should work on a VTR also. As they are designed for cams with increased lift (10.4mm IIRC) and duration (250 deg IIRC), they will be better equipped to withstand the Stage 2 cams.

If you choose to go this route, let me know, I bought some RC51 inner springs as I was looking at going down this route for my Yosh cams but decided to stay stock
I have sourced kibblewhite springs. They are good for slightly higher lift than the webcams set.. so they wont bind at all.
It too bad they dont give any info about seat psi or psi at full lift...thats what matters most for valve float.
but im sure they are most likley designed with a stiffer spring... I hope :think:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I'm sure there's info on the bags that the Kibblewhite springs are in. I'll dig them out & send a picture :thumbup:
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

Varastorm wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:26 pm I'm sure there's info on the bags that the Kibblewhite springs are in. I'll dig them out & send a picture :thumbup:
thatd be great! no idea what the stock ones are.. so nothing to compare to. But there must be some info in the interwebs about spring psi vs lift vs rpm.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well all good info but what I see as the most important factor here is coil bind.

The stocks springs would almost certainly bind with STG 2 cams IMHO.
I have this opinion because all the high lift cam options have spec'd replacement springs.

Even with big cams, hi comp pistons, head work and whatever else you can throw at it you are not going to raise the RPM for the peak power by all that much.
Again in my opinion, no matter what you do, the power peak will be below 10K RPM. So in that case the only real need for replacement springs would be to get more space between the coils.
The stock rev limiter kicks in at 10.3K RPM. So we know the springs can run at that RPM all day with no issues.

Sorry to go on but, again in my opinion, if you try to run STG2 cams with stock springs there is a good chance of something going bang.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

8541Hawk wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:07 am Well all good info but what I see as the most important factor here is coil bind.

The stocks springs would almost certainly bind with STG 2 cams IMHO.
I have this opinion because all the high lift cam options have spec'd replacement springs.

Even with big cams, hi comp pistons, head work and whatever else you can throw at it you are not going to raise the RPM for the peak power by all that much.
Again in my opinion, no matter what you do, the power peak will be below 10K RPM. So in that case the only real need for replacement springs would be to get more space between the coils.
The stock rev limiter kicks in at 10.3K RPM. So we know the springs can run at that RPM all day with no issues.

Sorry to go on but, again in my opinion, if you try to run STG2 cams with stock springs there is a good chance of something going bang.
No worries, nobody here is going to run stg2 cams with stock springs.
Its hard to say if stock springs are up to it. We know they are suffiecent for stg 1.
But better safe with aftermarket in this case for sure

the kibblewhite springs are good for .530 lift (13.5mm)

I see your point on the revs still being 10k, and maybe not needing more spring pressure..
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Hi, here are the pictures as promised :thumbup:

If you or anyone needs me to measure the springs or sprockets just ask & I'll open the bags :thumbup:

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

They had a rug like that on one of them antique type progs on the other day...

Excact same colour & patern...

Went for over 1k IIRC... 8O

'cept that one didnt have the oil stains on it... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I'd love to stop & chat Mac, but I'm off to Matalan to buy a sh1t load more. :D

You may laugh but you wait'n see. I'll be loaded by Christmas :lol: :lol:

Roll up, Roll up.. which Antique programme was it :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

Great news! It seems theses are some real deal parts.
the crank is in new honda box with the crankshaft part number labeled "Moriwaki balanced blueprinted crankshaft"
I received two sets of carillo rods.. the shipping label says they were shipped to a Honda manufacure plant in toronto.
the cams are in a megacycle cams box labelled stage 2, but I think they may be moriwaki that have beed reprofiled.
I measured the lift at 10.9mm on the intake cam and 10.8mm on the exaust cam.

The date on the box said they were made in 1999.. Im thinking these parts were all part of an R&D project at honda.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

What a find 8) you must be a very happy chap :clap: :clap:

Chris.
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

so after talking to the chap I bought this stuff from, he said everything was supplied by Honda to a local guy who was racing a vtr and was sponsered by honda.

I looked up the cam specs in the mega cycle book from the stamped 102X3 on the ends.
the specs are:

Intake:
Lift - 11.43mm
Duration @ 40 thou - 280deg

exhaust:
Lift 11.05mm
Duration @ 40 thou- 272deg

also says: must use racing pistons and springs.
Attachments
Screenshot_20181210-170759_Gallery.jpg
20181210_164911.jpg
20181210_164953.jpg
20181210_165006.jpg
Last edited by Chris58 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

Is it just me.. or do these degree numbers seem very high.
Im thinking that its because its measured at 40thou instead of the standard 50thou
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

never mind that, i think iv just done a little man wee :eek2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

what a haul is right.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

hell of a score for sure. I am amazed that any of this good stuff ever made it to Canada, typically motorcycling hinterland
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express