Less engine braking, lighter throttle

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
KermitLeFrog

Less engine braking, lighter throttle

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Two questions. I like minimal engine braking and, now I'm used to a RBW throttle I would like to make the storm throttle lighter.

Item 1. Increase the idle speed to about (say) 2000 to 2500 revs?
Item 2. Take away the throttle return cable?

Any input on these ideas???
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
mik_str

Re: Less engine braking, lighter throttle

Post by mik_str »

Install a Krankvent crankcase breather valve and enjoy significantly reduced engine braking. As for the throttle: really?
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

taking away the return cable from the throttle will reduce the effort needed to open the throttle, [and if you fitted a quick action throttle then you already made that force higher].... I have been running this on my bike for last 3 yrs and it is much better.

do you already have a lightened flywheel? that will have an effect on engine braking
AMcQ
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

AMCQ46 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:08 am taking away the return cable from the throttle will reduce the effort needed to open the throttle, [and if you fitted a quick action throttle then you already made that force higher].... I have been running this on my bike for last 3 yrs and it is much better.

do you already have a lightened flywheel? that will have an effect on engine braking
Yes, removing the return cable seems to be a common (and safe) thing to do.

Not sure about the lightened flywheel though. Would that not increase engine braking?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

A lighter fly wheel will reduce engine braking and increase throttle response speed. Removing the return throttle cable is a well trodden pathway.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Roger Ditchfield wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:35 pm A lighter fly wheel will reduce engine braking and increase throttle response speed. Removing the return throttle cable is a well trodden pathway.
Thanks for that Roger.

Rob, are you listening?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i just read it. iv long since ditched the return cable.. but iv also found the lighweight flywheels, at least the skinny latte ones iv done have increased the engine braking? seems to be less rotational mass pussing the engine on when you chop the throttle.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Beef

Post by Beef »

fabiostar wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:16 pm i just read it. iv long since ditched the return cable.. but iv also found the lighweight flywheels, at least the skinny latte ones iv done have increased the engine braking? seems to be less rotational mass pussing the engine on when you chop the throttle.
No that I have a lightened flywheel yet, but the physics agrees that less weight would indeed increase engine braking in the same way it increases engine acceleration.

Now tell me more about these krankvents and where do I get one?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It is a one-way valve that allows pressure out of the crankcases but doesn't allow air back in.
This lowers the pressure inside the cases, reducing pumping losses.

Lower pressures may have an effect on foaming for the engine oil, but I've never seen any definitive evidence showing power gains.

However you will have to blank off the two engine breather pipes from the cam cover to the airbox in order for it to have any effect apart from costing money.

Google krankvent.
Theres a detailed report on the first search page showing the Dyno results, with the possible variables taken into account.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I had a look at Krankvent. Seems like snake oil to me. No discernible HP increase and does nothing a decent large bore crankcase breather does. Probably less.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

So. Going back to my original question. Where's the problem with a higher idle speed? And, would it work?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, it does help, particularly to reduce rear wheel lockup on high rev downshifting.

But what engine braking there is (the usual amount, down to the new, higher tickover speed) is unaffected until revs drop to the tickover speed, at which point the engine braking stops and the bike will seem to accelerate.

It doesn't actually accelerate, of course, the deceleration stops, leaving you with brakes only.

It takes a bit of getting used to.

I settled on about 1400 rpm as a reasonable setting, which stopped the carb cough stall happening, which was main objective in playing with it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jasonbrownett

Post by jasonbrownett »

Roger Ditchfield wrote:A lighter fly wheel will reduce engine braking and increase throttle response speed. Removing the return throttle cable is a well trodden pathway.
Lightened flywheel increases engine braking and speeds up engine pick up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jasonbrownett

Post by jasonbrownett »

fabiostar wrote:i just read it. iv long since ditched the return cable.. but iv also found the lighweight flywheels, at least the skinny latte ones iv done have increased the engine braking? seems to be less rotational mass pussing the engine on when you chop the throttle.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:23 pm So. Going back to my original question. Where's the problem with a higher idle speed? And, would it work?
to high and would it not cause heating problems Ian? as in during traffic and stuff when storms can run a tad hot already? iv mine at 1200rpm and not really had any problems that iv noticed .
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: