COP harness, no hacker option

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
E.Marquez

COP harness, no hacker option

Post by E.Marquez »

Not a new thing, not a performance upgrade. If you have wanted to clean up the VTR frame area up front, shed a bit of weight, replace old spark plug caps, leads and coils by installing Denso Coil On Plug coils...but did not want to hack up your harness or do any wiring at all.
VTR COP Kit harness small.jpg
Folks have been doing this for some time now, using used wiring harness parts and there is nothing wrong with that at all....its how I did mine years ago. Others tried less reliable methods with varying results....in the DIY with what they had on hand or the local hardware store.... If it works, its not wrong.

Last month I was asked to make some harness as the owner was not comfortable making their own, did not want to buy all the supplies and tools needed, another chimed in and wanted something plug & play....So I spent some time with my wiring suppliers and we found the proper sealed connectors to mate with the VTR coil wiring harness plug and Denso coils. With that a plug and play COP harness using high quality sealed connectors, wire, and sheathing was born.

Using used long Denso coils and part of the stock rubber spark plug boot to make a seal for the COP is the better weather resistant plan I think and has worked well in the rain here in the states..Going on 6 years now and all of the COP's I have done for folks and my bikes and working great...
coil bottom prepped.jpg
coil bottom prepped.jpg (15.47 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
OEM boot cut.jpg
OEM boot cut.jpg (28.34 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Long coil with OEM seal.jpg
Long coil with OEM seal.jpg (13.62 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
You can use the shorter coils from something like a CBR600 they physically fit and electrically work just fine. But you can not use the OEM spark plug boot seal to seal out weather at the head. The coil design just is not adaptable for them. But they are cheaper to buy then the longer coils...you just need to figure out how to seal them to the head.

Likely with $24-36 shipping, its not something you blokes would want to buy, and this forum in particular tends to be more DIY than others Im on....Its one of the things I like about this cranky group..... :thumbup:
But figured put it out there and If you want to build your own and need help..ask

I'll say, the crimpers needed are not common bit of kit even if you do bike wiring of lights, and other things. And supplies needed if this is about all you will uses the stuff you buy will greatly drive up the cost. I also don't have a UK supplier for the proper connectors....
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training