Rear shock absorber

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
felix barrao

Rear shock absorber

Post by felix barrao »

Thinking in change my rear shock absorber, any experience with the YSS? Not expensive, and for sure better than original..

https://www.motosmanu.com/amortiguador- ... 78899.html

Thanks
Wicky

Re: Rear shock absorber

Post by Wicky »

Which Rear Shock ???? > viewtopic.php?f=18&t=40136&p=433445
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Any new aftermarket shock sprung for your weight will be better than the OEM Honda shock. The last one I bought was from M-Shock. Inexpensive and an immediate improvement. Some can be very expensive (e.g. Ohlins etc..). I think few people would notice the difference between an Ohlins and a YSS during normal road riding.

If you take a passenger a remote preload adjustment is handy but, obviously, adds to the price.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Wicky, grat link, thanks. I used the search but didn´t find it

KermitLeFrog, I´m not planing to take passenger on the VTR, it´s difficult to convince my wife to ride the Transalp, so imagine the Firestorm..

The link that I have posted is shipped to my house, I think it´s a good price.
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Just installed the YSS shock absorber this morning. At the same time I have re-greased the bearings of the suspension links. ( One of them were really hard to rotate).
This afternoon I will assemble the exhaust system, and test it. Any advice about initial preload and damping settings? I have assembled it out of the box.. ( ouch, forgot to measure the actual length to compare with the stock one 8O ).
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

felix barrao wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:40 pm Just installed the YSS shock absorber this morning. At the same time I have re-greased the bearings of the suspension links. ( One of them were really hard to rotate).
This afternoon I will assemble the exhaust system, and test it. Any advice about initial preload and damping settings? I have assembled it out of the box.. ( ouch, forgot to measure the actual length to compare with the stock one 8O ).
Our VTR Guru Roger D recommends a static sag of 8mm for the rear shock (preload adjustment) and rebound set to the least amount of damping without the rear end bouncing when you push down on it and let it go, it should come back up under control from the damping,

Chris.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Get the preload right first by measuring the sag. Only then bother with damping adjustments. I wouldn't be too bothered with static sag, anywhere between 5 and 10mm is probably OK. I was after 35mm laden sag which I got, coincidentally, with 8mm static sag!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Thanks!!
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Sorry for the stupid question, but, how to measure sag?
I understand that is the difference in distance from the bike to the floor with and without the pilot, but, where to measure it?
Thanks
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

just put a mark or a bit of tape on the rear bodywork, and below it mark the swingarm. then u have two points , the distance the bike sits down from fully extended to sitting on its own weight is the static sag :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Yes, but if we speak of 8 mm where? , with the same swingarm deflexion we have different distances depending of the distance from the the pivot point of the swingarm to the measure point..
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

Felix,
Please email me at roger@revolutionuk.co.uk and I will reply with the full procedure to set up both the rear and the front suspension correctly.
Roger :D
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Thank you, Roger !!
E-mail sent.
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

INFO SENT BY EMAIL.
fabiostar