Water and oil temperature

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

Re: Water and oil temperature

Post by fabiostar »

Cadbury64 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:19 pm
fabiostar wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:18 pm iv long since junked the thermostate, takes a bit longer to heat up but that i can live with. one less thing to break..

as for temps. away in the back of my mind i seem to rememeber reading on a spec sheet for race vtr engines the temp thats needed is 78 degrees. il have to look and see if my memory has failed me but near sure thats the golden figure.. 8O

people see the water temp upto what they think is good to go but the oil temp takes a lot longer even when the water temp says ring its neck. an old engine builder whos had his hands inside mr Dunlops engines all his life once told me it takes a good 15 mins to get the oil and the engine internals uptp operating temps.
My VFR800 has a digital temperature gauge and 78 is where it sits when running with good airflow, as that is the point at which the thermostat begins to open. I believe most Honda thermostats would operate at a similar temperature.

Your comment about the oil temperature is interesting, bikes that use an intercooler between the oil and water (usually at the oil filter boss) would seem to be the best of both worlds as the oil would always end up at leas as warm as the coolant. Or is colder better for oil???
the water in an engine will always heat up faster then the rest. oil and dirty big chunks of metal take a lot longer. again back to those race engines iv read they were heated up for 20 mins before they went onto track, long after the water temp gauge says your good to go..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

If you want true engine oil temp, you could put a sensor in the engine drain bolt hole, and waterproof connector with short pigtail from sensor to your gauge wire making oil changes easier
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Cadbury64 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:19 pm
Or is colder better for oil???
From what I have been reading the oil should be slightly warmer than the coolant.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

felix barrao wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:48 pm Thank you.
I use small steering stop spacers to avoid hitting the handlebar against the fairing, ( not modified fairing), the gauges are not a problem by itself.I have changed now the white cheap volt meter for a black one ( like the pressure and temp oil)
The TPMS is a Chinese aliexpress plug and play system, perfect reading at day and night.
That's what I did with my handlebar conversion, as you say rather than trimming the fairing.

Out of interest, where did purchase the black temperature and oil gauge from :?:

Chris.
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

I bought them here.

https://rspec.co.uk/gauges-52mm-clear-b ... s-c-3_134/

Nice quality items, ( I have changed now the white volt meter for a black one also)

I tested before some cheap chinesse gauges, wasted money, they vibrate all the time, and they aren´t accurate.

About the oil temperature, yes, it takes some time to get warm, and is very dependent of the ambient temperature. In winter, It barely gets 60 degrees when I go to work, ( 25 highway km ) and it takes 15km to reach them.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

felix barrao wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:40 am I bought them here.

https://rspec.co.uk/gauges-52mm-clear-b ... s-c-3_134/

Nice quality items, ( I have changed now the white volt meter for a black one also)

I tested before some cheap chinesse gauges, wasted money, they vibrate all the time, and they aren´t accurate.

About the oil temperature, yes, it takes some time to get warm, and is very dependent of the ambient temperature. In winter, It barely gets 60 degrees when I go to work, ( 25 highway km ) and it takes 15km to reach them.
Oops my bad, I have only just realised you have oil temperature and oil pressure gauges, not oil pressure and temperature (as in coolant temperature) as I previously thought :oops:

Thanks for the link Felix :thumbup:
Realistically priced too :D

You get what you pay for I guess with something like this,

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I've decided on just the water temp after a quick chat with Roger. The race bikes never ran an oil temp gauge.

My warm up procedure takes about twenty mins as there's a ten minute or so break between the two warm up cycles.