What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Post by sirch345 »

Looking good :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

The exhausts are now fabricated, as is the seat, but I may shorten that a bit.. and I am undecided on the moto GP or the mega style of silencer, I guess I have plenty of time to decide.

The seat was made out of insulation foam, and cut and sanded to shape, which is VERY easy to do. its then covered with a few layers of glass mat and resin. I also had the headlight brackets water jet cut, they came out really well!

No updates for a while as we are off on holiday for a few weeks!

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I pondered how to make a coolant header tank… ended up making one from scratch! I love the TIG welder!

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Sometimes it the little details that give the greatest pleasure… I needed some headlight brackets but they look terrible when you just crush the end in the vice… so I made this little tool to shape the ends.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Great to see you making more progress 8)

Love the tool you made for flattening the ends of the alloy tubes :clap:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I have been on holiday for a few weeks, hence no updates... Now as winter approaches I will be spending a bit more time in the garage!

For now, I have finished the GPS speedo, and think I will use it. It worked well on test in the car, and the warning LEDs are very bright.

Gravelrash

Post by Gravelrash »

Great thread. I feel privileged that you are sharing this with us considering you only visited for one question. I can't change a spark plug without breaking something so I have the greatest respect for your talent :D
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Gravelrash wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:10 pm Great thread. I feel privileged that you are sharing this with us considering you only visited for one question. I can't change a spark plug without breaking something so I have the greatest respect for your talent :D
Thanks!

I sat for a long time in the garage, imagining how I could make the footrests. I knew exactly where they should be as I want the riding position to be “just Right” like my other bike. one important factor was some sort of rubber mounting. the design proved to be difficult, and after mocking some up in plywood, I came to the conclusion it would actually be quite difficult. In the end I have used the footrest assemblies off a Multistarada, which combine all the attributes I wanted, with the bonus they were an easy fit! I have also braced the frame. A considered decision… so many of these bikes break their crankcases. hopefully this will prevent that.

The throttle linkage is also now done… The right throttle action can make the world of difference to how a bike rides. I bought a cheap twist grip and played around with different diameters until it felt right. I will make a replacement now to the correct dimensions.

Sign the weather is getting cooler... I have moved to the other side of the garage, near the radiators!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The GPS Speedo looks the business, so does the expansion tank, Nice work 8)
The frame bracing almost looks like there should have been braces there in the first place to me, well done :clap:

Also the Multistrada footrests look the part as well :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

great thread, carry on sir by all means :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Made a couple of items in the last few days... first I have mounted the front mudguard, made some stays out of alloy tube, complete with formed ends to make them look better, and also less prone to cracking.

Also finished off the tank plate and mounted the ignition switch. this took a while as I panel beat it out of some alloy plate into a  compound curve. I made a tool to press the raised portion to add a little strength, and make it look a little better. I have mounted it with some 5mm anti vibration rubbers. Of course all will need a polish, but that all comes after the mock up stage!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:58 pm Made a couple of items in the last few days... first I have mounted the front mudguard, made some stays out of alloy tube, complete with formed ends to make them look better, and also less prone to cracking.

Also finished off the tank plate and mounted the ignition switch. this took a while as I panel beat it out of some alloy plate into a  compound curve. I made a tool to press the raised portion to add a little strength, and make it look a little better. I have mounted it with some 5mm anti vibration rubbers. Of course all will need a polish, but that all comes after the mock up stage!

You're certainly getting there. I like the way you've done the raised portion on that alloy panel, it finishes it off nicely 8) good work :thumbup:

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Very nice buzzer.That bike is coming together nicely :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
bertye

Post by bertye »

All nice work and good to see the speed it is all going at. :D
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Took the frame in to my mates factory today to fully weld it… its easier on the big bench, and his gas is a 10th of the cost of my small bottle at home! I noticed the cracks on the underside of the cross over frame tubes, both sides! really glad that I braced it now. I don’t feel its the best designed frame… seems its a fairly common problem on Ducati frames :oops: :oops:

Wow that looks nasty 8O
A good job you decided to brace the frame when you did :clap:

Chris.