What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
buzzer

Re: What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Post by buzzer »

well I dye pen tested all the welds on the frame today, all OK apart from the obvious ones...

been stripping the wheels tonight, first I had problems getting the front bearings out as the inner spacer tube is a tight fit and I could not get on edge of the bearing to knock it out, ended up grinding a piece of flat with a tang on... this soon had it our. MUCH harder were the cush rubbers... I simply could not get to the back of them to get them out. I made a split collet in the end and pulled them out with a big socket! I did think of leaving them in, but the guy who does my powder coating is meticulous... and he would have only moaned! I use Redditch shot blasting, not the cheapest, and definitely not the closest, but simply the best I have found without question. In the past I have had some shocking jobs back from other companies....

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Bit of a departure from bike building just for a change... thought I would share a couple of other projects I have done recently... One bike related... a table lamp for my study made from a scrap 1000DS piston and barrel. Not bike related, a fire pit come BBQ that I made Stainless Steel. I had the dish spun out of a 750mm diameter blank of 6mm stainless 316. its an interesting process! Initially it was going to be just one grill, but my wife said she wanted a separate veggie grill... hence the two! Bonus brownie points! its been used a lot over the summer, when the BBQ is done, the grills come off, and we throw a few logs on and it becomes a fire pit!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:04 pm Bit of a departure from bike building just for a change... thought I would share a couple of other projects I have done recently... One bike related... a table lamp for my study made from a scrap 1000DS piston and barrel. Not bike related, a fire pit come BBQ that I made Stainless Steel. I had the dish spun out of a 750mm diameter blank of 6mm stainless 316. its an interesting process! Initially it was going to be just one grill, but my wife said she wanted a separate veggie grill... hence the two! Bonus brownie points! its been used a lot over the summer, when the BBQ is done, the grills come off, and we throw a few logs on and it becomes a fire pit!

Great work, I luv the table lamp 8) :clap:

**EDIT**
I have just been studying your BBQ / Fire-pit a bit closer. I like the way you have built the grills with the wooden handles and counterbalances, also the way they attach to the dish legs, nice one :clap: :thumbup:

Out of interest regarding your cush-drive puller, I have been wondering how you managed to get that split collet you fabricated in behind the cush-drive rubbers to extract them :?: Being split I imagine it must have had to be pretty accurate to work as intended.

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Excellent fabrication skills, you can be proud of those.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Out of interest regarding your cush-drive puller, I have been wondering how you managed to get that split collet you fabricated in behind the cush-drive rubbers to extract them :?: Being split I imagine it must have had to be pretty accurate to work as intended.

Chris.
thanks Chris. The cush rubbers sit in a recess in the wheel as you can see, but they dont go to the bottom of the hole... you can get to the back of them through the wheel, but you cant knock them out as the spoke is in the way! its a poor design, and lots of owners struggle to get them out. most people drill the rubber out, and use a bearing puller on the outer, but of course this destroys them. They are £30 each! I only wanted to get them out to paint the wheels...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:56 pm

Chris.
thanks Chris. The cush rubbers sit in a recess in the wheel as you can see, but they dont go to the bottom of the hole... you can get to the back of them through the wheel, but you cant knock them out as the spoke is in the way! its a poor design, and lots of owners struggle to get them out. most people drill the rubber out, and use a bearing puller on the outer, but of course this destroys them. They are £30 each! I only wanted to get them out to paint the wheels...
Many thanks for explaining that :thumbup: I see why you had to make the collet a split one now as the spoke(s) are in the way :thumbup:

I don't blame you for wanting to save them at £30 a piece :)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I did the tappets… pleased to say they were all in tolerance! I also took the cams out to check the rockers, they were pretty near perfect, which was a relief!

Took the frame to the powder coaters… but he called me today to say there were marks on one of the frame and he was not happy to coat over them… they must have been under the original paint with filler in them! I took it back home and just touched them with a sharp drill and TIG welded them up and sanded them down. Really not impressed with Ducati frames...

I have also Etch primed the engine ready for a coat of 2K silver tomorrow. It took a lot of hours to remove the paint. I was lucky to find 5 LTR of old stock paint stripper which should keep me going a long time. the modern stuff is next to useless. I masked the engine off, a tip i picked up when I was an apprentice in a Bentley dealership for making gaskets was to tap around the gasket material with a plastic hammer... I do the same masking off.. put the tape on and go around the edge with a small plastic hammer. you get a perfect edge!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:33 pm I did the tappets… pleased to say they were all in tolerance! I also took the cams out to check the rockers, they were pretty near perfect, which was a relief!

Took the frame to the powder coaters… but he called me today to say there were marks on one of the frame and he was not happy to coat over them… they must have been under the original paint with filler in them! I took it back home and just touched them with a sharp drill and TIG welded them up and sanded them down. Really not impressed with Ducati frames...

I have also Etch primed the engine ready for a coat of 2K silver tomorrow. It took a lot of hours to remove the paint. I was lucky to find 5 LTR of old stock paint stripper which should keep me going a long time. the modern stuff is next to useless. I masked the engine off, a tip i picked up when I was an apprentice in a Bentley dealership for making gaskets was to tap around the gasket material with a plastic hammer... I do the same masking off.. put the tape on and go around the edge with a small plastic hammer. you get a perfect edge!

Thanks for sharing the tip with the plastic hammer 8)

Good that the powder coaters contacted you regarding the condition of the frame, I'm sure some wouldn't have bothered, good on them,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Yes Chris, the powder coater is brilliant... he does all the bikes for the national motorcycle museum. he is meticulous! I take stuff in masked off, and he removes it and does it his way! Redditch Shotblasting if you ever need anything doing

the painting came out rather well! just got to put it back together now!

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Redditch shotblasting is local to me, but only found them this year so only had simple jobs done like rear spring and a jointing strap for my Aga!

glad to hear they have such a good reputation, as the pricing is good too.
AMcQ
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:56 pm Redditch shotblasting is local to me, but only found them this year so only had simple jobs done like rear spring and a jointing strap for my Aga!

glad to hear they have such a good reputation, as the pricing is good too.
Its a 60 mile round trip for me... but its worth it... :thumbup: over the years I have had some horrendous jobs done locally.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I see a lot of builds spoilt by detail, and have been guilty of it myself in the past, in particular withe old plated parts... One thing I gave been meaning to do for a long time is have a go at DIY plating. Well I did some today and I have to say I am quite pleased with the results! I have used the blue passivate but there is a yellow gold one in the kit.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:27 pm I see a lot of builds spoilt by detail, and have been guilty of it myself in the past, in particular withe old plated parts... One thing I gave been meaning to do for a long time is have a go at DIY plating. Well I did some today and I have to say I am quite pleased with the results! I have used the blue passivate but there is a yellow gold one in the kit.

Good job, well done for giving it a go 8) :clap:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

All finished... the sharp eyed guys will spot the VTR carb brackets which are now modified :mrgreen:

freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Back to the lamp. I hope the piston doubles as the on/off switch.