What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
alanfjones1411

Re: What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Lovely looking bike buzzer.Well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:23 pm Middle of may and lockdown has eased a little and I have been out doing a few miles... It runs REALLY well on the carbs! the throttle response is amazing and it feels very crisp and lively! made a few adjustments to the timing at low RPM, but the jetting feels OK, and a plug chop confirmed its not far out... just need to put a few miles on it now... its VERY loud though!

will post a video soon as I can get someone to take it!

These look like bike mag photo's :lol:
Lovely pic's, your bike is looking great 8) 8)

I'm glad you managed to get out at last, good to hear it's going well with the carbs. I'm not surprised it's noisy though with reverse cone mega's :shh:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Been out and about the last few days bedding things in after the rebuild... one thing I noticed was its slow to turn over when you start it. I had upgraded the cables, and the starter itself was good, so I had another look at the timing. When I did the map, I had the first RPM point at 400 with 10 degrees BTDC and the second at 1000 again with 10 degrees... so i changed this to 5 degrees from 400 to 1000, so there is not so much advance at cranking speed.

I also configured the software so it did two full dead revolutions before it sparks...  this means the engine is properly spinning before it fires... It really spins over now and starts MUCH better

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Well I guess this post has come to its natural end as the bike is finished albeit from some fettling... there probably won’t be any more updates… I only really joined the group because I used the carbs off the Firestorm and needed some help, which I have always received, but hung around and posted as it’s a friendly forum. :thumbup:

I normally do one bike build a year over the winter, or sometimes a car restoration, but mainly bikes these days. I wish I had recorded some of the builds I have done in the past, but websites, blogs, and forums are fairly new to me.

Next winters project is already at the back of the garage, I am going to re-do a bike (Ducati Multistrada) I built a few years ago and change a few things on it, and make it more radical, it will be a keeper then. However, as there are not going to be any holidays for us this year, I will probably make a start soon… I can always start a thread if you guys are interested?

For now though, there is always my blog to take a peek at

www.jtccc.wordpress.com

Thanks again for the help guys :thumbup: :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I for one would be interested to see the progress of your next project of the Re-Do DucatiMultistrada, after all it is a Vee Twin :D
Plus I have really enjoyed reading your postings and seeing the photo's on this project 8)

I would be interested to know, what's your opinion on the VTR carbs compared to the fuel injection that they have replaced now you've had some road time with this bike :?:

Chris.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Well, for myself, I would love to see you carrying on posting here. I only wish I had a 1/4 of your knowledge and skill.
Hope to see your post soon. I have always had an interest in the old multistrada
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Richard wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:31 pm Well, for myself, I would love to see you carrying on posting here. I only wish I had a 1/4 of your knowledge and skill.
Hope to see your post soon. I have always had an interest in the old multistrada
Me too.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep, I'd welcome another build thread, it's always interesting looking at the problems and solutions that naturally occur with anything other than a standard bike (and where's the fun in those?).
And if we can chip in with a suggestion or comment it might help you.
Lastly, I find that simply explaining what you are doing or planning helps to clarify your thinking.

Let's get started!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

New build please

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:02 pm
Lastly, I find that simply explaining what you are doing or planning helps to clarify your thinking
I couldn't agree more on that Tony :clap:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

been doing quite a few miles on this over the summer... here is a short video with sound :biggrin

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

buzzer wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:41 pm been doing quite a few miles on this over the summer... here is a short video with sound :biggrin

Love it :D
Even the video looks professionally done. :wink:
Cudos Buzzer :thumbup:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Cracking cheese Gromit
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pete.L wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:08 pm
buzzer wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:41 pm been doing quite a few miles on this over the summer... here is a short video with sound :biggrin

Love it :D
Even the video looks professionally done. :wink:
Cudos Buzzer :thumbup:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I couldn't agree more :thumbup: :lol:

Great to hear the exhaust ringing out :D
When you see a video put together like that, it surprises me more than I realise on how much work actually went into the bike build, amazing :clap:

Chris.