What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Nosepicker

Re: What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Post by Nosepicker »

I'm on my er.. behind
You are an artist buzzer :thumbup:
Bad choices make good stories :D
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Hi guys...

bike is running OK, but I cant seem to get the tickover less than 1800 RPM...

any suggestions?
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Are the butterfly valves pretty much closed?
Insufferable halfwit.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Pentode wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:05 pm Are the butterfly valves pretty much closed?
yes they appear to be...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Choke cable properly seated?
And the 2 into 1 choke connector not caught up?
Enough slack on the throttle cable?

To check if it's one carb staying open or both, obstruct the intake of one at a time, see what revs you get. The higher revving one is where the problem is.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:04 am Choke cable properly seated?
And the 2 into 1 choke connector not caught up?
Enough slack on the throttle cable?

To check if it's one carb staying open or both, obstruct the intake of one at a time, see what revs you get. The higher revving one is where the problem is.
Thanks for that Tony... it was the 2 into 1 cable tube that was sticking... :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Been a while since I updated....early May, lockdown continues, still can’t ride, it’s very frustrating to have bikes on the drive and not ride them!!

done a few more jobs like programme the ignition advance to get a steady tick over, and importantly retard the ignition at cranking speed to give the starter motor an easier time.

Also balanced the carbs.  for years I used a mercury gauge for this but a mate borrowed them  and broke it!  so I bought a set of gauges, but noticed I could get it closer by ear!  so I checked the gauges by connecting them to a single vacuum source and found they were all reading differently!  hence the single gauge with 5 valves.  the 5th valve provides damping to the gauge.  I have found you can get a perfect tick over with this method.

lets hope we can ride soon!

mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Nice little fleet you got there. Congrats on the latest project!

P.S. I am not a Harley guy by any stretch of the imagination but have always been a fan of the V-Rod engine (best sounding bike engine around IMO); shame they never put it in a XR1200-type model
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

mik_str wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:44 pm Nice little fleet you got there. Congrats on the latest project!

P.S. I am not a Harley guy by any stretch of the imagination but have always been a fan of the V-Rod engine (best sounding bike engine around IMO); shame they never put it in a XR1200-type model

I am not really a Harley fan either... had a sportster for a few years It was OK, but despite being a 1200, i missed the grunt. then I looked at a sot tail and had a test ride... took it back after a few miles... Then I took a V-ROD out... Harley Die Hards say its not a real Harley... and they are right! with about 120BHP it goes well, brakes are good, and it handles OK. its not a sports bike though...

Not sure why Harley killed it? maybe because of the competition from Indian... (which I have ridden, and was very impressed!)
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I quite like the FTR1200
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

A collection of bikes to be proud off 8)

Chris.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

That's definitely a cracking photo off so luverly kit 😁👍
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

buzzer wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:59 am Been a while since I updated....early May, lockdown continues, still can’t ride, it’s very frustrating to have bikes on the drive and not ride them!!

done a few more jobs like programme the ignition advance to get a steady tick over, and importantly retard the ignition at cranking speed to give the starter motor an easier time.

Also balanced the carbs.  for years I used a mercury gauge for this but a mate borrowed them  and broke it!  so I bought a set of gauges, but noticed I could get it closer by ear!  so I checked the gauges by connecting them to a single vacuum source and found they were all reading differently!  hence the single gauge with 5 valves.  the 5th valve provides damping to the gauge.  I have found you can get a perfect tick over with this method.

lets hope we can ride soon!

my god thats nice, you are a very sick man and the world needs people like you in it, carry on :clap: :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Middle of may and lockdown has eased a little and I have been out doing a few miles... It runs REALLY well on the carbs! the throttle response is amazing and it feels very crisp and lively! made a few adjustments to the timing at low RPM, but the jetting feels OK, and a plug chop confirmed its not far out... just need to put a few miles on it now... its VERY loud though!

will post a video soon as I can get someone to take it!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Looks sweet as. I can't help thinking that a tube trellis swingarm might suit it better, or maybe a gullarm style.
Just a thought, not a criticism. Good build, well done.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.