What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
MacV2

Re: What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Post by MacV2 »

buzzer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:50 pm Hi guys, can anyone post a picture of the underside of the airbox where it sits on the carbs?

I will be starting the build soon and I want to maybe make an airbox, not sure yet.

do the brass tubes on top of the carbs vent directly into the box? a picture would be great!
Take you pic... https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=VTR1000f+airbox

No the brass tubes do not vent into the air box...

The four threaded holes on top of the body are what the airbox screws into.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:17 pm
buzzer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:50 pm Hi guys, can anyone post a picture of the underside of the airbox where it sits on the carbs?

I will be starting the build soon and I want to maybe make an airbox, not sure yet.

do the brass tubes on top of the carbs vent directly into the box? a picture would be great!

could it be that he meant the air jet inlets when he referred to "brass tubes"? If so, then the answer is yes, the air inlets for both the pilot and main circuits vent directly into the airbox.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

mik_str wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:31 pm
MacV2 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:17 pm

could it be that he meant the air jet inlets when he referred to "brass tubes"? If so, then the answer is yes, the air inlets for both the pilot and main circuits vent directly into the airbox.
I slouch corrected ...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

2nd hand airboxes are very cheap. It's probably easier to buy one and use that as a template.

I have a base and lid for a tenner if you want, but no trumpets left.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Is this any help :?: (this pic is with one trumpet still fitted) if not let me know,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:28 am

Is this any help :?: (this pic is with one trumpet still fitted) if not let me know,

Chris.
thanks Chris, but I cant see the picture?

edited to say I can now, perfect!
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

thought I would post a few pictures of progress... if you guys are interested I can post more as I progress?

I was going to try to make a tank, but I really like the 996 one i have picked up cheap...  but its taking quite a bit of work to modify to fit over the carbs.  I have had to cut the bottom out and fabricate a new base.  some of the welding is done, and I thought it best to dye pen the joints as its easier to correct leak on the outside of a joint, rather than inside when its all welded up... good job i did as there were two leaks.  Dye penetration works amazingly well as you can see.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks for posting the photo's :thumbup:
Good to see what you are doing, or should I say trying to achieve :)

Some planning and work you are doing there 8)

Good luck with your plan,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I love the "back to simplicity" look of these 2 bikes
AMcQ
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

thanks guys...

Finished the fabrication on the bottom of the tank, all pressure tested and no leaks!  I have had problems finding a fuel tap big enough...  most are 8 mm but the Honda carbs require 10mm pipe, they were a thirsty beast!  found one in the end...  but I wont be running a reserve.  Also made a couple of short bellmouths to fit under the pod filters.  they were made out of tube, and spun in the lathe to bell the ends out.  to do this you need to soften the alloy first by annealing it.  I have struggled with this in the past as you need to get the temperature right, but if you go too far, it suddenly melts into s a blob!  the answer is simple, a trick picked up from a mate...  scribble on the alloy with a sharpie pen...   heat until the pen marks disappear, and stop heating! then let it cool. it works a treat!

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Every days a school day! Nice tip.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice work with the fuel tank :clap:

Thanks for the tip on heating alloy without going to far :D

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

top class work sir. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

thank guys :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

sometimes you make stuff but are not sure… this is an example. I wanted the front of the bike to be clean looking… so I made this speedometer using a cheap GPS module that will come on automatically when the ignition is on. the holes are for some warning LED’s… not sure if I will use it yet. I am aware that technically its no legal to have a GPS speedo… but…!! Whats peoples opinions on the look?

Also been practising my alloy welding with my new TIG welder to make a battery box for under the tank.

Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

Nice bit of work going on, can’t wait to see the final product