Help & Advice

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Beef

Help & Advice

Post by Beef »

Right .....

I need to get amongst my bike. The forks are going to Roger this week, I am going to get the flywheel off to get that in the post to the resident turner.
The 2 main things I need to sort are:

1. CCT's, I am in 2 minds about these, go for the fail safe or go manual. Looks wise, it's a track bike so that doesn't worry me, but I am concerned about the setting up correctly and the stories of them undoing themselves.

2. Carbs, the leaking issue I had last year needs investigating, it only happens on the front carb, and I guess it could be related to the running issue I had on track after long periods of WOT. I'm wondering if the demand for fuel on WOT, then none, was causing the float to sick and the bowl to flood- on track it bogs down, on tickover in pits, the bowl overflow dumps the excess?

I'd appreciate peoples thoughts. Also, I know all the info is within this site, but if anyone can tell me what I need to get gasket kit wise or carb spares etc, it'd be appreciated.
fabiostar

Re: Help & Advice

Post by fabiostar »

just my thoughts on these.go manuals and if they are fitted properly with a dob of silicon they wont undo..

your carb issue is something iv had and others aswell, after say a straight then you knock it off, when you open the throttle again are getting a stutter and it floods the front carb by any chance? then a second or two later it clears?

if you havent alrerady done it, the two pipes that sit between the v of the carbs and go through the carb side plates, pull them out and point them downwards, i cut about an inch of mine and simply pointed them down, really only happens at track days but if thats what your engine is doing thats the simple cure.. :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Beef

Post by Beef »

Yeah sounds just like that. My bike has a fuel pump fitted. A couple of times after sitting, when the bike is started, the front carb overflows. Both times I drained the bowl and then re started and problem solved - I think the float could be sticking?

How easy it it to get tension correct on the MCCT's?
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Sounds like the float valve in the front carb might be hanging up or the rubber tip might have hardened.
As for the vent tubes between the carbs, those usually show issues under hard braking. I just pulled the rubber line off completely and have run that way for 15+ yrs with no issues.

As for setting the MCCTs, tough one to answer as I found it very easy while others have had issues.
About the only thing I always say is remove the front valve cover while doing this job. Yes there are instructions on how to do it without removing the front cover but I never do it this way.
I do like to visually make sure the cams are timed correctly and haven't jumped a tooth. Also it is a good time to check the valve clearance and flush the cooling system :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Re mcct's undoing- any fixing not tightened properly can, and probably will, undo.
wi

With the locknut fitted correctly there are no problems.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

as has been said do it with the covers off. a steel rule and 5 to 7mm free play ,(combined up and down), tighten it up and forget about it. for at least 15/20k
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Beef

Post by Beef »

OK thanks guys, I’ll get on it this weekend.
Now what ones do I get?....
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Best ones imo are these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VTR1000F ... %7Ciid%3A1

They have two orings in the shft to avoid oil leaks, no needed for silicone to install them.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

're mcct's. Nothing practical so say ref performance and fit but I like the adapted Honda originals. Just IMO they look better, and they work. Oh and the price is right for a tight a$$ like me :D
Beef

Post by Beef »

Well I have a set from Ade on here on route 8)
Beef

Post by Beef »

OK, got the forks out ready to get to Roger. Carbs are off, a few things I noticed.....

1. I have no TPS plugged in
2. The two pipes that come off the carbs, through the frame are cut quite short just after the frame (pic to follow)
3. The carbs really didn’t want to come off, I wiggles & jiggled for a while then used a piece of soft wood as a lever to gently get them
Moving.

I’m now thinking something is worn or perished in the front carb to be causing the issue.

I did have a bit of a panic..... I loosened the lower bolt on the yokes, then went to the top ones, the first one I did the ratchet just spun, my heart revved and my mind thought “you’ve been riding with them loose!” Sudden :eek2 Then it dawned on me they were smaller :lol:
Beef

Post by Beef »

You can see where the pipes are cut, I’m assuming these are the ones people were referring to?

Beef

Post by Beef »

Image Image Image

No wire connected to TPS, there wasn’t any coolant plumbed into carbs. Main jet 180 pilot 45S
Beef

Post by Beef »

Float valves are a bit grotty, I’ll replace them but don’t seem to have found anything obvious as to why the front would overflow. Going to test the float......
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Beef wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:41 pm You can see where the pipes are cut, I’m assuming these are the ones people were referring to?

I can't see any cut pipes here.
The two breathers that tuck into the frame between the carbs are normal.
The two stubs that point vertically upwards at the outside ends are to locate into the stubs on the airbox.

Re the tps, the loom should have a grey connector that plugs into the tps, if you can't see it remove the plastic heat shield under the carbs and unless someone has chopped it off the loom it'll be under there.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.