Fairing removal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
E.Marquez

Fairing removal

Post by E.Marquez »

What is your biggest beef or the thing you find most irritating with removing or reinstalling the faring from the bike?

I have an idea for something but I’m not sure if it’s a solution looking for a problem
So you need to take the whole fairing off.... what part of that process is most unpleasant? Same question for reinstalling it
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
MacV2

Re: Fairing removal

Post by MacV2 »

The delicate task of flexing it open to clear the rads on & off...

Having said that once you have done it a few times it's relatively easy just a bit squeaky elbow time...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The cyclops lamp harness being too short

And the plastic mushroom clips that hold it to the rads
AMcQ
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

For me there's no one bit that stands out as worst – it's just that it's the mirrors and the indicator connectors and the head/sidelight connectors and the bolts and the trim clips...and then the splaying that Mac mentions. All of these things put together make it feel like a faff whenever I have to do it – I feel like you could take just any one of them away and it wouldn't seem like a b. ache.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Be grateful, Firestorm owners.
Compared to an SP, its the work of moments....

But I use an old rugby shirt spread across the tank with the arms pushed in behind the top mounting brackets so that you don't chip the paint on the fairing as you spread it just enough to clear....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:48 pm The delicate task of flexing it open to clear the rads on & off...

Having said that once you have done it a few times it's relatively easy just a bit squeaky tonsils time...
+1

That's the bit I don't like either.

I besides the normal bits you have to remove and unplug remove the right-hand side top mounting bracket. I do that before removal and replace it once the fairing has been refitted,

Chris.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Thanks all... looks like I have a solution looking for a problem... :lol:

I am MODDING my fairing wiring so that it will come off with just a single accessible connector vice the 8 needed to be done and undone now.

Its mostly a conveyance thing, my big mits do not do well in working with the turn signal bullet connectors, nor getting to the top third eye light connector.

There they're is the benefit of getting rid of all those open, non sealed failure points...replacing with just single, modern sealed connector.

I was curious if others hassled with all those connections as well.

Seems no :lol:
Post event services

Total Rider
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

E.Marquez wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:22 pm Thanks all... looks like I have a solution looking for a problem... :lol:

I am MODDING my fairing wiring so that it will come off with just a single accessible connector vice the 8 needed to be done and undone now.

Its mostly a conveyance thing, my big mits do not do well in working with the turn signal bullet connectors, nor getting to the top third eye light connector.

There they're is the benefit of getting rid of all those open, non sealed failure points...replacing with just single, modern sealed connector.

I was curious if others hassled with all those connections as well.

Seems no :lol:
Time to look on line for a small Asian child with small hands... Won't be too expensive to keep as they are used to living on a handfull of rice... Also handy for other chores around the house. Once they get too big for the cage under the stairs, simply turff them out onto the street & buy another one... Simples... :wink:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

race fairing, one light plug, boom job done :clap: :clap:

yes yes i know thats of no use to anybody except me.. :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The bundle of wires and having everything set right back so the two prongs slide into the fairing stay enabling the alignment of the holes to get the mirrors on.
==============================Enter the Darkside
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

VTRDark wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:33 pm The bundle of wires and having everything set right back so the two prongs slide into the fairing stay enabling the alignment of the holes to get the mirrors on.
Yup agree...that big ass snatch of wires at the front always has to be Richard with (Yes I see what i did there .....But I aint changing it now.....) to get the fairing forward into the guide pins. That and limited space to get to the connectors....

Welp I just ordered the Furukawa sealed connectors to do this :lol: So its happening

We will see how it all works out... My vision of it working is awesome..we will see if reality comes close...LOL

Oh And I decided on a 2 connector plan, vice larger single which i think would have been just too bulky.

So its a 3 way connector for the headlight for the larger current of the headlight and a 6 way connector for all others.. Since those are all LED, I can use 22 ga wire making the bundle much smaller then if I had done a 9 way plug.

Im also considering making a mount for the wiring harness side connector. would be even easier if you only needed one hand in there to lift the locking tab of the fairing side plug, then two hands to hold both and lift the locking tab......I think....well pretty sure..ya Im positive Im pretty sure :lol:
Post event services

Total Rider
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

E.Marquez wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:49 pm
VTRDark wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:33 pm The bundle of wires and having everything set right back so the two prongs slide into the fairing stay enabling the alignment of the holes to get the mirrors on.
Yup agree...that big ass snatch of wires at the front always has to be Richard with (Yes I see what i did there .....But I aint changing it now.....) to get the fairing forward into the guide pins. That and limited space to get to the connectors....

Welp I just ordered the Furukawa sealed connectors to do this :lol: So its happening

We will see how it all works out... My vision of it working is awesome..we will see if reality comes close...LOL

Oh And I decided on a 2 connector plan, vice larger single which i think would have been just too bulky.

So its a 3 way connector for the headlight for the larger current of the headlight and a 6 way connector for all others.. Since those are all LED, I can use 22 ga wire making the bundle much smaller then if I had done a 9 way plug.

Im also considering making a mount for the wiring harness side connector. would be even easier if you only needed one hand in there to lift the locking tab of the fairing side plug, then two hands to hold both and lift the locking tab......I think....well pretty sure..ya Im positive Im pretty sure :lol:
:lol: I like that :D

I think your idea is a good one, removing all the wire connections with just one or two plugs will make removal and refitting of the fairing easier I'm sure. Please do let us know how it works out :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Not only that but these bikes are getting old now and the connectors may not be in the best condition.
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

VTRDark wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:21 am Not only that but these bikes are getting old now and the connectors may not be in the best condition.
Bit like most of the owners then... Pass the dielectric grease & the ralgex... :lol:
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

The Postman giveth ...

fairing connectors.jpg
Let the games begin
Post event services

Total Rider