No masterlink?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRsquid

No masterlink?

Post by VTRsquid »

In the process of putting new chain, sprockets, disc and pads on my recent purchase, and i must have spent 15 minutes staring and rotating the wheel with a light on it but there was no master link.. is that even a thing?
Chain was a DID VX, coincidentaly bought exactly the same chain to replace it,( except with rivet master link included)
Wicky

Re: No masterlink?

Post by Wicky »

Usually VTR chain is riveted as recommended. You can remove the endless chain by using an angle grinder or simply by taking off the rider's footpeg chainside hanger (remember to retorque up the swingarm nut back to spec). Then you can rivet the new chain off the bike and slip it onto new sprockets.

Rivet tool > viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40689&p=441066
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Yeah thanks i know how to do a chain, but was completely ignorant to the existence of "endless" chains.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

How many miles are on the bike? Could it be the original chain?! I'm guessing they were fitted with endless chains from the factory?
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Its got 40,000km on it. Ive just picked it up the other week. The PO was a bit of a fiddler so i doubt it was original, he had -1/+1 sprockets as well as an electronic chain-oiler (which i have removed along with half a dozen other gizmos and a couple buckets of spaghetti wiring)
Chain and sprockets were not worn, and well oiled, but the o-rings were cactus and there was massive side to side slop, almost like it was a 530 chain on 520 sprockets. It was a DID VX chain, but in my limited experience never seen anything quite like it.
Also the rear disc was absolutely munted, never seen anything like that either, a good maybe 1.5mm gouged out of both sides like a skate half pipe or glcial valley or something and new pads that had been bed in by force and pig-headedness over who knows how long a time, lol. They actually worked quite nice but its going in for RW tomorrow (MOT) and visually it stuck out like dogs balls
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

If these endless chains are available that would be pretty cool though.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Interesting...I did know that endless chains were available, but never looked in to why or from where.

It turns out I'm wrong about the OEM fitment though - according to the manual, for starters it says it was a DID ZVM (i.e. the super heavy duty one), and secondly it says 'This motorcycle uses a drive chain with a staked master link.'
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Search google or ebay for 'did 530 endless 102' though and plenty of results come up, so looks like you can get an endless replacement chain for the Storm which actually seems like a good option seeing as you can fit one without removing the swing arm.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:54 pm Search google or ebay for 'did 530 endless 102' though and plenty of results come up, so looks like you can get an endless replacement chain for the Storm which actually seems like a good option seeing as you can fit one without removing the swing arm.
That's what we should have done (bought endless chains) when we replaced our chain and sprockets :)

Chris.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

sh1t yes! Next time :beer:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:45 pm That's what we should have done (bought endless chains) when we replaced our chain and sprockets :)

Chris.
Until you brace the swingarm and then the option goes away :?
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

8541Hawk wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:44 pm Until you brace the swingarm and then the option goes away :?

Was going to post that , then saw you had already... :thumbup:
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8541Hawk wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:44 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:45 pm That's what we should have done (bought endless chains) when we replaced our chain and sprockets :)

Chris.
Until you brace the swingarm and then the option goes away :?
Good point :thumbup:

Chris.