Those who use gear oil on their chains

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Those who use gear oil on their chains

Post by jchesshyre »

I've been using this https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-147622-com ... r-oil.aspx recently and it's by far the most effective stuff I've found to lube my chain with so far. Not too viscous when applying but stays on for much longer than 80 or 90 weight oil, and yet doesn't attract dust like chainsaw oil or most aerosol chain lubes do. Plus it's mineral oil so is cheap! A winner all round (if you like this sort of thing).
VTRsquid

Re: Those who use gear oil on their chains

Post by VTRsquid »

You mean shag repellent? If it stinks as bad as normal gear oil..
KermitLeFrog

Re: Those who use gear oil on their chains

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I used to use gear oil or ATF. I now just use whatever cheap engine oil I have on the bench.

Chain lubrication is a hot topic for some people. The best results I've had have been with a Loobman manual chain oiler using ATF. ATF is thin enough that when it goes on a hot running chain it flings off taking all the dust and crap with it and leaving a smear of oil on the chain for rust protection. Makes the back of the bike mucky but the chain looks fab.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)