Bike running to lean and more trouble

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
shoarmadude

Bike running to lean and more trouble

Post by shoarmadude »

Hi guys,

last week I had a moment and thought lets get the bike out for a drive, I haven't been driving for a while now... Uhh like 1 year +... :?
Was to busy, weather was sht, work and bla bla... And lost my fun of driving, yeah yeah I lknow...

So, after I finally managed to put my gear on and pull the bike out of his dark corner in the garage, I started the beast and it was running for like 3 and a half seconds, then died.
I started again, bit more shoke and it was running fine for a minute then died again.
Then I turned the throttle a little bit and the bike died, fuel leakage on the ground.. and I drowned the engine... so thinks where going pretty well :thumbdown:

Then I realised that the fuel inside the tank might be old and that it could be the reason why it wasnt running.
So took old the old fuel out, put in fresh fuel and tried again.
Yes! The bike was running and kept running.
So next thing was to take it for a spinn and cruised around for 45 minutes and 25 km non-stop.

Then I noticed a few thing:
-lower rpm 2000-3000 the bike holds back, when Im making a turn or took a roundabout in 2nd gear and want to make speed it holds back.

-sparkplugs where white, incation its to lean.
-when pulling the choke out for 5mm, the bike runs fine and doesnt dip in lower rpm.
-lots of backfires, in all the gears.
-bike runs fine at higher speed/higher rpms
-with the old fuel and NO choke the bike was hikking and made a strange scartchy noise that probably came the carb.
-with old fuel and choke, the bike was running better. No strange noise.

So now Im thinking about cleaning the carbs, maybe ultrasoon everything.
Not sure if this might help, but ages ago, when I fitted my Dynojet kit the bike was running fine and made a dyno run with no big problems, only that it was running a bit rich.

So Im going from a bit rich to a lean mixture... :crazy:

Does this sound familiar to someone?
Could it be the carbs being dirty..?

Thanks for the help :thumbup:
Last edited by shoarmadude on Tue May 07, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadbury64

Re: Bike running to lean

Post by Cadbury64 »

Backfiring and surging at low revs would probably indicate a blockage in the low-speed jets I think. I'd take the carbs off, remove the bowls and pulls the jets out for a clean. The low-speed jets are really fine, very easy to block with some old/evaporated fuel.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
shoarmadude

Post by shoarmadude »

Thanks, I'll give the carb a good clean. :thumbup:

Any tips on how to remove the carb easily from the rubbers?
Its like Ive super glued them the last time.
No movement at all...

(Edit: found it, need to wiggle... a lot.. :wink: )
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Hair dryer to warm em up...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
shoarmadude

Post by shoarmadude »

Its off, little heat and some lube along the sides and it plopped right of :thumbup:

Now open it up and give it a clean.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

this should be interesting. for no reason mine done the same, from running fine for 2 years to a lean condiotion for no reason i can find :confused
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

loosen clamps fully and wiggle from side to side. That's left to right side of bike. Also note that carbs are mounted at a slight angle and there's also a small round hole in the plastic cowl above the right rad to insert your screwdriver in to get to the clamp on the front carb. Then when putting them back on use a little smear of lube around the inside of the the rubbers and try to put them in the rubbers evenly with more dominance towards the front slightly and then pop the rear fully in as if your doing CPR on them and they should pop right in.
==============================Enter the Darkside
shoarmadude

Post by shoarmadude »

fabiostar wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:07 pm this should be interesting. for no reason mine done the same, from running fine for 2 years to a lean condiotion for no reason i can find :confused
Yeah well mine didnt like the old fuel, so took that out first.
Seemed to help a bit, but after a short ride the plugs where white.

So prob the carb just dirty... hopefully...

Cant harm to clean your carb aswell. :wink:
shoarmadude

Post by shoarmadude »

VTRDark wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:36 pm
loosen clamps fully and wiggle from side to side. That's left to right side of bike. Also note that carbs are mounted at a slight angle and there's also a small round hole in the plastic cowl above the right rad to insert your screwdriver in to get to the clamp on the front carb. Then when putting them back on use a little smear of lube around the inside of the the rubbers and try to put them in the rubbers evenly with more dominance towards the front slightly and then pop the rear fully in as if your doing CPR on them and they should pop right in.
Thanks man, Ive managed to get them of.
Some wiggling, bitt of heat and some lube did the trick. :thumbup:

Next up, cleaning the carb.

And reading a lot of topics about carb adjusting and get to the right settings again.
Its been a while since I cleaned and DJ the carb, so gotta start from zero.
shoarmadude

Post by shoarmadude »

So took my jets out and these have some crystals on them.
Also the needle is dirty with some white smudge on it.

Now Im thinking should I ultrasone the carbs or just give it a good clean with some carb cleaner.
If I want to ultrasone I need to take the carbs out of the brackets and I dont know how easy that
will go..
Im looking at springs and nuts that I dont know and what will happen if I loosen them, will the springs
release or...
Cant really find a complete carb disassembly guide including the brackets

8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

You can remove the carbs from the stays without any issues or bits flying away. The hardest bit is removing the cotter pins from the connecting linkage. :wink:

Also I would personally just replace the pilot jet and not even bother trying to clean them. :thumbup:

It might just be the picture but it also looks like you have 2 different manufactures main jets installed
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
shoarmadude

Post by shoarmadude »

8541Hawk wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:31 pm You can remove the carbs from the stays without any issues or bits flying away. The hardest bit is removing the cotter pins from the connecting linkage. :wink:

Also I would personally just replace the pilot jet and not even bother trying to clean them. :thumbup:

It might just be the picture but it also looks like you have 2 different manufactures main jets installed
So, just clean the jets and replace them. Cleaning the whole carb shouldnt be necesarry?

Yeah...youre right, Ive also noticed that the mainjets got the sizing stamp on different positions.
1 has the stamp on top and the other has the stamp on de side.

Cant remember why and how I got them... :?:
popkat

Re: Bike running to lean and more trouble

Post by popkat »

Don't get them mixed up, I think the nozzles are different for each carb.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
shoarmadude

Post by shoarmadude »

popkat wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:47 pm Don't get them mixed up, I think the nozzles are different for each carb.
You mean the emulsion tube?
Everything is backed separately for each carb.
popkat

Post by popkat »

shoarmadude wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:03 am
popkat wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:47 pm Don't get them mixed up, I think the nozzles are different for each carb.
You mean the emulsion tube?
Everything is backed separately for each carb.
Yes

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s