Fuel leak, hard to start

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Macaroni

Fuel leak, hard to start

Post by Macaroni »

Hi guys, name's Mike, new to the forum. Bought a vtr1000 and been riding it to work, all going great until I find a small puddle of fuel under the bike and it struggled to start, took maybe 6-8 tries. Limped it home and it wanted to stall half the time, had to keep the gas open slightly at red lights to keep it going.

So I lifted up the tank and found fuel coming out of the vacuum hose (see pic, where it says vacuum hose connection) and strangely when I tried to turn the fuel tap to the off position, fuel would leak out of the tap around the edge of where it turns.

Would this be a busted fuel tap leaking fuel into the vacuum hose?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Screenshot_20190504-234832_Chrome.jpg
E.Marquez

Re: Fuel leak, hard to start

Post by E.Marquez »

Would this be a busted fuel tap leaking fuel into the vacuum hose?
Likely yes, and so the cylinder is getting raw fuel.
With engine off, remove the hoses from the fuel petcock, see if you get fuel dripping to confirm...If so, rebuild the petcock using the OEM part set COVER SET, PETCOCK 16953-ML0-034
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/par ... 953ML0034/
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Macaroni

Post by Macaroni »

Took a hose off and fuel pissed out, even with fuel tap turned to the off position. I can use the all balls repair kit instead of genuine Honda yes?
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Macaroni wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:24 am Took a hose off and fuel pissed out, even with fuel tap turned to the off position. I can use the all balls repair kit instead of genuine Honda yes?
You can use the AllBalls kit, I choose not to based on my experience with them on our 90 bike training fleet. I use them on the training fleet because they are cheap. and a simply all in one parts package.
BUT they don't last as long as OEM parts and they do not always work...occasionally I have a all balls kit part be it fuel petcock or carb not fit well, or just not work as it should... Second new kit fixes the issue.

Its not often, so not enough for me to stop recommending the All Balls kits , and my parts guy gets me a credit for the failed kit no question, kind of telling me its expected but the manufacture
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training