Changing chain & sprockets conundrum!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Kev L

Changing chain & sprockets conundrum!

Post by Kev L »

I’m sure there is a logical explanation however it’s defeating me at present.
I have a DID 530 ZVMX chain 102 links long, Supersprox 41 T rear sprocket and 16 T front. I fitted the set and adjusted the chain to the correct tension, having used a soft link. The chain adjusters were almost at the extreme of their adjustment. I ground off the soft link thinking I could take another link out to reduce the length and thereby the amount of adjustment, however the chain won’t mate if I remove another link, given a couple of thousand miles of wear it will, but not at present.
So i’v ordered 2 more soft links with a view to installing the chain as is and adjusting it again for length in the future.
This is the first time I’ve changed the set on the Storm and I don’t remember this being mentioned previously. Is it a common experience or have I missed something?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRsquid

Re: Changing chain & sprockets conundrum!

Post by VTRsquid »

Yeah i did mine with 16/43 recently and cut the chain to 102 links. Adjusters are nearly maxed all the way in (short wheelbase lol) but could still get proper adjustment.

Its interesting that with 41 rear (which is stock size i believe?) 102 links is almost too long and with in my case 43 the chain is almost too short. Pretty sure 16/41 and 102 links is all stock numbers.

If you do decide to add links you will need the two masters and keep the off cut links.

Also it came to my attention recently that endless chains are available from DID. worse comes to worse you can get one of those, whip of your left rearset and smash one of those on and have peace of mind there are no weak links.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

The bikes got a braced swingarm so the chain has to be broken to thread it through. The gearing is all stock and the chain length is as stated in the Honda manual.
Crazy !
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Very strange that, 16 front and 41 rear is standard, so the chain should fit fine, if it doesn't just send it back. Just a thought,this might sound stupid, and I'm sure you may have already done it, but have you counted the links.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Yes mate, I checked it a couple of times. Even laid the old and new side by side.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can buy a 1 and 1/2 link.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:27 pm Yes mate, I checked it a couple of times. Even laid the old and new side by side.
I'm guessing you have, but what about the number of teeth on the sprockets have you counted them :?:
Seeing as you laid the chain side by side, have you dropped the sprockets on top of the old ones, if they definitely have the same number of teeth of course, just to check they are the same diameter.
It has to be something you're missing I'm sure,.

I agree 102 links, 16F and 41R is standard spec's,

Chris.
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

When I changed the kit ( stock 16/41 102 links) I was a bit surprised because the adjusters were too back, but.. it works.

If I were you, I should install a 15 t sprocket, ( I did it one week ago) probably the 101 link chain will fit, and you will love this configuration if you are not planning go over 250 km/h.. I would say that with two soft links you are not going to be able to convert again to 102 links. but I can be wrong.
The JT 15 t sprocket cost me about 15 € shipped from uk.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev, I see you have fitted your new chain and sprockets viewtopic.php?f=18&p=474895#p474895 and they are looking very good with the Mac special slave cylinder carrier 8)

Did you find what the outcome of your chain and sprocket conundrum was :?:

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Cheers Chris. I checked the sprockets, counting the teeth rather than relying on the stamped in number, and they’re both as stated- 41t & 16t supersprox. Took the chain off again and counted the links, correct at 102. Applied the soft link and adjusted it to the correct tension. It still seems a long way out for a new chain but it’s all good for now.
:thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:37 pm Cheers Chris. I checked the sprockets, counting the teeth rather than relying on the stamped in number, and they’re both as stated- 41t & 16t supersprox. Took the chain off again and counted the links, correct at 102. Applied the soft link and adjusted it to the correct tension. It still seems a long way out for a new chain but it’s all good for now.
Interesting Kev. If you want :?: I can take a photo of the rear wheel spindle position on my bike, as I have just fitted a brand new chain and sprocket kit (102 link, front 16T and rear 41T ), it's done around 100 miles only since then,

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Cheers Chris, it’ll give me some comparison. Thanks fella
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:49 pm Cheers Chris, it’ll give me some comparison. Thanks fella
Here you go Kev, as you say this will give you some comparison.

Looking at the photo I see I need to wipe off some of the excessive grease on the chain adjuster :lol:

Afam sprockets F.16 & R.41 with DID 102 link ZVM-X 530 chain.

Chris.