JE wrist pin clips

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VT1000r

JE wrist pin clips

Post by VT1000r »

Guys I need help I bent one of the JE circlips and need to know if I can use oem circlip. The oem ones are just a little smaller than the JE clips but they seem to work if I recall correctly the oems were 1.47 mm thick and the JEs were 1.70 so about .2 of a mm smaller but like I said it seems to hold the wrist pin just fine and fit in the JE piston just fine.
E.Marquez

Re: JE wrist pin clips

Post by E.Marquez »

JE clips are a bugger to install as they are thicker/stiffer then stock or VErtex, ect.

I can say for sure JE and OEM pin clips are not interchangeable, I cant say for sure it another brand might work.

Personally I never mix and match..new clips are always from the same brand as the piston.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

They are matched to the piston groove, the groove could be deeper and are certainly a different groove width compared to the standard piston.

I wouldn't risk it, but there is no lateral force acting on the pin; and therefore the retaining clips.

Except the rocking couple exerted by the fact that the pistons are slightly offset sideways, but that's small compared to an il4, for example.

For the sake of waiting for one clip to arrive, I'd wait.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VT1000r

Post by VT1000r »

tony.mon wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:43 pm They are matched to the piston groove, the groove could be deeper and are certainly a different groove width compared to the standard piston.

I wouldn't risk it, but there is no lateral force acting on the pin; and therefore the retaining clips.

Except the rocking couple exerted by the fact that the pistons are slightly offset sideways, but that's small compared to an il4, for example.

Ok, thanks I guess I get one ordered then hopefully my thumb will be healed by then it got messed up spending 45mins putting in the other JE clips lol.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Getting the first one in is easy.
Insert it turned 90 degrees, then turn it when pushed into the wrist pin "tube" on one side.

Then insert the pin, and then you just have to struggle with the other side.
VT1000r

Post by VT1000r »

tony.mon wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:43 pm They are matched to the piston groove, the groove could be deeper and are certainly a different groove width compared to the standard piston.

Oh and by the way do you have any recommendations on putting the clips In. I just orderd "1" and it was 3.00 usd so I don't really want to bend it
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I just insert the lower side, with the gap at 3 or 9 o'clock, then use a blunt screwdriver to push down on the upper edge until it goes in.
Be careful, and wear eye protectors.
VT1000r

Post by VT1000r »

tony.mon wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:01 pm I just insert the lower side, with the gap at 3 or 9 o'clock, then use a blunt screwdriver to push down on the upper edge until it goes in.
Be careful, and wear eye protectors.
Cool thanks