Petcock woes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
davebrannigan

Petcock woes

Post by davebrannigan » Wed May 22, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi Folks, After flooding my engine with fuel following the failure of the fuel strainer I discovered that after cleaning the tank out and replacing the strainer the petcock was still passing fuel. The valve rubber seat was all distorted.

I bought a repair kit off the internerd and when it arrived the spring was squished flat. Waited a few weeks for a replacement and went to fit it tonight but there's a problem. With the normal spring pressure applied to the valve there is a clear gap (visible through the fuel take off ports) between the valve seat and the rubber so fuel still passes. With it stripped I need to apply a fair bit of finger pressure to get it to seat. It cannot be right. Anyone else had issues with this and where can I get a repair kit that works? I really don't want to flood the crankcases with fuel again...

Cheers

Dave

davebrannigan

Re: Petcock woes

Post by davebrannigan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:19 pm

I cant believe I'm the only one to have had an issue with this, but to tie up a loose end I can tell you that I bought an OEM repair kit and it worked fine. Don't waste your money on pattern parts for this item!

Dave

fabiostar

Re: Petcock woes

Post by fabiostar » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:50 pm

iv been down that road aswell, oem every time :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: