Petcock woes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
davebrannigan

Petcock woes

Post by davebrannigan »

Hi Folks, After flooding my engine with fuel following the failure of the fuel strainer I discovered that after cleaning the tank out and replacing the strainer the petcock was still passing fuel. The valve rubber seat was all distorted.

I bought a repair kit off the internerd and when it arrived the spring was squished flat. Waited a few weeks for a replacement and went to fit it tonight but there's a problem. With the normal spring pressure applied to the valve there is a clear gap (visible through the fuel take off ports) between the valve seat and the rubber so fuel still passes. With it stripped I need to apply a fair bit of finger pressure to get it to seat. It cannot be right. Anyone else had issues with this and where can I get a repair kit that works? I really don't want to flood the crankcases with fuel again...

Cheers

Dave
davebrannigan

Re: Petcock woes

Post by davebrannigan »

I cant believe I'm the only one to have had an issue with this, but to tie up a loose end I can tell you that I bought an OEM repair kit and it worked fine. Don't waste your money on pattern parts for this item!

Dave
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv been down that road aswell, oem every time :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
minx0071

Post by minx0071 »

Hi,

I currently have this issue.
Unfortunately bought non OEM petcock kit and diaphram is not seating. Problem i have is that i am struggling to get OEM kit...but also i need the other sealings for the shut off tap, which is currently passing fuel when closed - the rubber seal with 4 holes is perished and broken.
I have spoken to some Honda dealers and the answer i get is that they dont supply overhaul kits for the petcock, you just have to buy a new one for £275 !!

Anyway, i am currently looking to modify the fuel system i.e. incorporate shut off valves in the 2 fuel lines that can be shut off when bike not in use.

Just wondered if anyone has done any mod similar or maybe i need to make a new post ?

Thanks.
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

I bought part number 16953ML0034 Cover set Petcock for around £50. Job done.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Yup, the pattern repair kits are shite. I went through three before just buying a used complete tap for the same money.
minx0071

Post by minx0071 »

Nice one thanks, will see if i can find that kit...otherwise may just buy 2nd hand petcock
minx0071

Post by minx0071 »

Dave, can i please ask where you bought 16953ML0034 from ? Cant seem to find anywhere in UK....
minx0071

Post by minx0071 »

Forget that found it thanks
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

For £1200 you can have mine. It comes with a complete bike! Decided to sell my bike now.

Cheers
minx0071

Post by minx0071 »

Thanks....thinking of selling mine as well :D
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

minx0071 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:03 pm Dave, can i please ask where you bought 16953ML0034 from ? Cant seem to find anywhere in UK....

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/par ... 953ML0034/
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts