Starting bike

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Fatbloke

Starting bike

Post by Fatbloke »

Hi i wonder if anyone can help i have just brought a 1998 firestorm and when i picked it up the bloke said to me when starter motor goes round it is slow because it is a v twin but when i got it back home the starter motor turns once then the relay just clicks and light goes out a new battrey was fitted in febuary i have put test meter on it and it comes up 12volt i have cleaned the bolt on starter motor made no diffrence but when i jump start it it fires up straight away any advice would be good thank you for looking
agentpineapple

Re: Starting bike

Post by agentpineapple »

it could be a number of things, personally i'd suggest looking at the reg/rec, they can be an issue on these bikes, if it's the flat style with no fins, then it'll be crap. change it for a later model finned style, or upgrade to a mosfet reg/rec
as for the starter motor, they're very robust, as long as the main connection isn't rusted. sometimes the main starter cable can corrode on the inside, heading back up to the relay.
but do a search on here about reg/rec issues first
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Just because the batt shows 12v doesn't mean all is well... When it's running check with meter it should be in the 14v range if not...R/R is fubar.

Or maybe the batt has dropped a cell. Try it with a differnt battery to start with...

I had the same issue, changed...Starter, starter cable, 3x starter relays...still no joy... Tried a diff battery & the bastid fired up first time ! :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Fatbloke

Post by Fatbloke »

Thank you i have a new battrey on order and starter cable and relay see if it works
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Fatbloke wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:20 am Thank you i have a new battrey on order and starter cable and relay see if it works
just be aware that if your reg/rec is faulty, it will kill your new battery fairly quickly.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!