Fitting MCCT your opinion please

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
0gri

Fitting MCCT your opinion please

Post by 0gri »

Hello Peeps,halfway through the dreaded cct/mcct swap and need a little advice.I've installed the mcct and adjusted them so i have 5mm to 7mm of free play and bolted down the cam guide.When dismanteling i stopped just before i removed the cct and guide and tried to give the chain a wiggle (just a little bit) and there was no free play either sideways or up and down,the chain was snug against the sprocket.now i have fitted the mcct,adjusted feeplay,bolted the guide down and given it a little wiggle there is lots of free play sideways and can lift the chain a fraction away from the sprocket.Soooo my question is,is this ok or should i tighten the chain a little so theres no free play,or leave it as is and close it up?many thanks in advance for all the help im going to get :thumbup: Mark
AMCQ46

Re: Fitting MCCT your opinion please

Post by AMCQ46 »

As long as you were at the correct Top Dead Center engine position, you have set them correctly with the correct slack. If you over tighten the cams will squeal at start up, as the over tension forces the oil film out and they run metal on metal for the 1st few seconds.
AMcQ
0gri

Post by 0gri »

Thankyou for your quick reply AMcQ,i'm sure i timed it up correctly,the difference between the acct and mcct was very noticeable so thanks for putting my mind at rest :thumbup: Mark
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Just to add to Al's (AMcQ64) post.

Providing you followed VTRDark's topic on fitting manual CCT's here:- http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28583
you should be good to go with 5mm to 7mm up and down movement between the cam sprockets with the cam chain guide removed.

The reason the cam chain has less play in it with the OEM Honda automatic tensioners (than with manual CCT's) is the automatic ones self adjust,

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Turn it over by hand a few times before you hit the starter to see if anything is fouling.Welcome to the forum.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
0gri

Post by 0gri »

Hi sirch345,thanks for the explanation in the difference between automatic and manual,yes that was the guide i followed,very well presented,a first for me sitting in the garage with laptop(beat the hell out of squinting at a haynes manual),what will they think of next.cam covers going back on first thing in the morning,thanks again :thumbup: Mark
0gri

Post by 0gri »

Hi alanfjones1411,very good advice thankyou,i've tried a few times and everything seems ok but im still going to be feeling ill and sweaty when i give the button a fast jab. :thumbup: Mark
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

0gri wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:59 pm Hi sirch345,thanks for the explanation in the difference between automatic and manual,yes that was the guide i followed,very well presented,a first for me sitting in the garage with laptop(beat the hell out of squinting at a haynes manual),what will they think of next.cam covers going back on first thing in the morning,thanks again :thumbup: Mark
Well done in giving it a go :thumbup:
I hope it all goes well,

Chris.
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

I noticed just the same as you when installed the MCCT, ( no free play at all with ACCT) Just installed the manual with the 5 to 7mm play, and works great
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

My camchain was as tight as hell with acct fitted too.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's why on a dyno back-to-back you gain half a brake horse fitting manuals.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
0gri

Post by 0gri »

Hello peeps,its all back together and alls good.The reason i posted my question was 'couse i have an early gsxr to which i fitted a mcct and to be honest it sounds like a cement mixer at tick over and i didnt want the same for the vtr.But you were all right,set at 5 to 7mm and no rattles.Out of curiosity before i tightened everything up i tried finger tightening the bolt and then backing off 1/4 of a turn and there was about 6mm of free play.A big thankyou to everybody that replied and put my mind at ease :thumbup: Mark