Dodgy '99 Storm spitting from front carb and running on 1 cylinder

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Triad

Dodgy '99 Storm spitting from front carb and running on 1 cylinder

Post by Triad »

Hello guys! I really hope you'll can help me, I'm kinda losing my temper LOL.

I have a '98 red Storm, just fitted MCCTs by myself, changed oil and filter... it's ok. Got it for cheap.

Found a '99 and did almost 500km to get it. While I thought it was simply sitting there for maybe a year... the battery was dead but the overall good conditions of the bike made me pick it up anyway. Big mistake... never buy a bike you can't hear while running. :think:

Brought it back, tried to jump-start it, no joy. Drained the old fuel, cleaned the carbs (bowls, jets, needles, membranes are ok), replaced the spark plugs, the bike starts only on one cylinder (the back one) and SPITS FUEL from the front cylinder carb... at times popping and making me risk my eyebrows.
I kinda made some progress as at first the rear carb didn't even get fuel 'cause the line was clogged. Brought it to the shop of a friend who's a car mechanic and electrician, he says one of the intake valves is probably stuck open and that's why the fuel keeps coming out instead of being sucked in.
He wants to measure the compression of the cylinder to be sure, don't know when as he's always busy.
I also checked timing on both cylinders and it looks ok. It's still on ACCTs, but when (only once and only for a few seconds) it started on two cylinders, it sounded normal, no chain rattle.
At this point I don't know what to fear the most LOL. The bike was naked when I got it, I even spent money to buy race fairings, front bracket etc. but still need the side fairings brackets. Any advice?
I noticed a bodge job on the left coil, but they both fire up with the spark plugs connected.
8541Hawk

Re: Dodgy '99 Storm spitting from front carb and running on 1 cylinder

Post by 8541Hawk »

A valve can not be hanging up as this is an "interference" engine......meaning if a valve hangs up it will hit the piston the next time it comes up.

The first thing to look at is the carbs. Are you familiar with working on CV carbs?
Also when you cleaned everything did you do one carb at at time or both at once?
Asking as there are a few bits different in each carb.
If that is all good then check to make sure the diaphragm is seated properly...it can be a bit tricky if you haven't done it before.
One way to check is push up on the slide and watch it close. If it just slams shut, the diaphragm is not seated correctly.

once we know this stuff we can go from there :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Which cylinder did you do first? I only ask cos I spent two weeks with the same issue. Turned out I only turned the crank 90deg after doing one instead of 450 deg. Cams were 180deg out... Result was it ran fine on front, fired on rear (sort of) both pipes hot but not running nicely. That was long after doing the mccts correctly! I'd messed with it so much I was checking from the rear and just turning crank to FT first time it appeared, and I kept doing that 🤔.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Which cylinder did you do first? I only ask cos I spent two weeks with the same issue. Turned out I only turned the crank 90deg after doing one instead of 450 deg. Cams were 180deg out... Result was it ran fine on front, fired on rear (sort of) both pipes hot but not running nicely. That was long after doing the mccts correctly! I'd messed with it so much I was checking from the rear and just turning crank to FT first time it appeared, and I kept doing that 🤔.