Tacho

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Beef

Tacho

Post by Beef »

Evening all.
I’m really concerned about my dash & tacho, (I have no speedo) on my last track day, the last 2 sessions saw my tacho going crazy - it seemed to work but was 180 degrees out, then on the last session, it packed up all together along with oil& neutral light. I changed the fuse today, all the warning lights work again & the tacho is back to normal.
Whilst I’m glad it’s working again, I can’t help but think that there’s another fault lurking waiting to appear again!
StormyRob

Re: Tacho

Post by StormyRob »

Beef wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:31 pm Evening all.
I’m really concerned about my dash & tacho, (I have no speedo) on my last track day, the last 2 sessions saw my tacho going crazy - it seemed to work but was 180 degrees out, then on the last session, it packed up all together along with oil& neutral light. I changed the fuse today, all the warning lights work again & the tacho is back to normal.
Whilst I’m glad it’s working again, I can’t help but think that there’s another fault lurking waiting to appear again!

Suppose it could be a few things but I had a similar issue in the past and it was a faulty reg/rec
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Thanks, I will have a check of the voltage at the battery tonight....I am pretty sure it's a non standard RR. :thumbup:
Beef

Post by Beef »

Cleaned the 3x earths on the dash, they were a bit grotty...... I then decided to clean every spade connection as I was there and I don’t know what does anything anymore!

Start bike up and had 14.1V on idle, I didn’t rev it as it’s getting late and I only had one pair of hands. I did notice my Reg/rec was hot after 5 mins running (not too hot to touch but hot!)
I don’t think it’s a standard one, I’ll post a pic of it tomorrow.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Quick google of VTR R/R’s and it appears that I have a similar looking unit to the LH item so that could be a good sign :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fine, it's been changed for a better one, and the heat shows its doing its job.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

It is still a diode base R\R meaning it will fail. Who knows when but it will give up.
The best solution is to go to a MOSFET based R\R when you can :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Cheers guys. I did check output at battery and it was under 15v all way to redline so hopefully it’s all good. I’ll look into a mosfet 👍