Alternator wires to Rectifier size?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Alternator wires to Rectifier size?

Post by sirch345 »

Does anyone know what size/gauge cables the three yellow/green wires that plug into the rectifier from the alternator are :?:

I want to cut out the burnt wire and solder in a new piece.

Here's the culprit:-

Thanks,

Chris.
VTRDark

Re: Alternator wires to Rectifier size?

Post by VTRDark »

Now there's a good question. You need an Erik viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43293 I bet he knows exactly what gauge it is.
==============================Enter the Darkside
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Japanese bikes use a metric wire size that is not a direct cross over to AWG or anything else commonly available in the UK or US.

it would be about 19 AWG if it was a thing, as its not I use 18 AWG, high strand tinned Marine rated wire or M22759/16 Tefzel 18 AWG wire.

BUT I would not patch that .. I would make a new cable, RR to stator connector

Last edited by E.Marquez on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

E.Marquez wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 pm Japanese bikes use a metric wire size that is not a direct cross over to AWG or anything else commonly available in the UK or US.

it would be about 19 AWG if it was a thing, as its not I use 18 AWG, high strand tinned Marine rated wire or M22759/16 Tefzel 18 AWG wire.
Quick off the draw Eric ! :Gun4:

:thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

E.Marquez wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 pm Japanese bikes use a metric wire size that is not a direct cross over to AWG or anything else commonly available in the UK or US.

That is a perfect reply :thumbup: just what I needed, many thanks Erik :D

VTRDark wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:48 pm Now there's a good question. You need an Erik viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43293 I bet he knows exactly what gauge it is.
You were spot on there Carl :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:D
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I meant to post this up before now :oops:

Anyway, I ordered up some 18AWG wire, but when it arrived it was a lot thinner than what my OEM wiring is going from the alternator terminal block to the rectifier. After some calculations, it appears my wires are nearer to 16AWG (to the best of my ability each strand of my existing wires measure 0.19mm dia X 50 strands).

I'm not meaning to sound like I'm knocking what you have said Erik, far from it you've been more than helpful, but I do wonder if the UK version of the firestorm has thicker wires in that department :eh: and that's why I thought I better mention it in case anyone else reads this,

Chris.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

56x 0,30mm would be close, about 4mm dia. Good for 40A or 500 + Watts.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:31 pm

I meant to post this up before now :oops:

Anyway, I ordered up some 18AWG wire, but when it arrived it was a lot thinner than what my OEM wiring is going from the alternator terminal block to the rectifier. After some calculations, it appears my wires are nearer to 16AWG (to the best of my ability each strand of my existing wires measure 0.19mm dia X 50 strands).

I'm not meaning to sound like I'm knocking what you have said Erik, far from it you've been more than helpful, but I do wonder if the UK version of the firestorm has thicker wires in that department :eh: and that's why I thought I better mention it in case anyone else reads this,

Chris.
Chris, Best I can tell from parts fiche there is no different in stator wiring for any region. And Im pretty sure on my measurements, having done it with a micrometer under magnification so I could be sure I was getting a good read on wire.. but that aside...as I think it makes little difference ...

"What wire gauge" is best answered not with an attempt to measure existing wiring, but what is the existing need, then specing a wire for that.

The stator is MAX capable of 24 amps add in heat factor and wire in sheathing and 18AWG of M22759/16 Tefzel 18 AWG is significant overkill. it provides less then 1% voltage drop when acceptable standard is 3% or more

Also, what wire did you order and measure to compare? How many strands? what was the cross section of each? Was it a known quality name brand or standard wire ..or just a marketed "18 ga"?
I ask as not all wire is created equal, as well as its really hard to visually compare 10 strand xx ga against 32 or 16 strand xx ga. as well as insulation difference can make the wire size difference visually confusing
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

E.Marquez wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:47 pm
Chris, Best I can tell from parts fiche there is no different in stator wiring for any region. And Im pretty sure on my measurements, having done it with a micrometer under magnification so I could be sure I was getting a good read on wire.. but that aside...as I think it makes little difference ...
Erik, thanks for your reply.
I didn't use a micrometer, I used a digital calipers to take my measurements, also under magnification like yourself, my eyesight isn't that good now :) Some may say that's not quite as accurate as a micrometer, although it seems to be accurate enough to measure valve shims for valve clearances, so I felt that was good enough for my approx. calculations.
E.Marquez wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:47 pm "What wire gauge" is best answered not with an attempt to measure existing wiring, but what is the existing need, then specing a wire for that.
Going about it from the opposite way around is actually not a bad idea.

The stator is MAX capable of 24 amps add in heat factor and wire in sheathing and 18AWG of M22759/16 Tefzel 18 AWG is significant overkill. it provides less then 1% voltage drop when acceptable standard is 3% or more
E.Marquez wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:47 pm Also, what wire did you order and measure to compare? How many strands? what was the cross section of each? Was it a known quality name brand or standard wire ..or just a marketed "18 ga"?
I ask as not all wire is created equal, as well as its really hard to visually compare 10 strand xx ga against 32 or 16 strand xx ga. as well as insulation difference can make the wire size difference visually confusing
I haven't had the luxury of finding a supplier local to me with a known quality name for my wiring so far, or certainly not in short lengths. The 18 AWG wire I purchased was a temporary measure so my bike wasn't off the road any longer as the summer is here. Yes is was marketed as 18 AWG. However as that 18 AWG wire was definitely thinner than the OEM, my local motorcycle repair shop was able to supply me with a length of wire which I worked out to be slightly thicker than the OEM is. No manufactures name again.

My approx. calculations (no visual measurements were relied on, as you say hard to workout with different numbers of strands) work out like this, the OEM wire 1.4mm².
The wire from my local bike shop 1.6mm².

The 18 AWG wire 0.816mm² .
24 strands, cross measurement 0.21mm,

Chris.