Shout-out for D.I.D. ZVM chains

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Shout-out for D.I.D. ZVM chains

Post by jchesshyre »

I understand that the D.I.D. ZVM chain is actually the OEM fitment to the Firestorm, but I think many (myself included) use the less hefty VM one.*

However last time I decided to use one of the ZVM-X ones which are obviously more expensive, but I reckon it's worth the extra cash. It's now got 23,000 miles on it and shows no sign of tight spots or binding links and looks more or less new. I very rarely clean it, just apply 85W140 gear oil every 300 miles or so.

The price difference isn't that big so, depending on how many more miles I get out of it (I usually get 15,000-20,000 max out of a VX one), I reckon it's worth it.

*These are now ZVM-X and VX respectively for the X-ring versions.
fabiostar

Re: Shout-out for D.I.D. ZVM chains

Post by fabiostar »

storms can be rough on chains.. its a case of only getting what you spend with chains :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fit a cheap x ring, then spend the saving on a scottoiler.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

tony.mon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:15 pm Fit a cheap x ring, then spend the saving on a scottoiler.
...or fit a scottoiler and a ZVM-X chain and never change the chain again?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:24 pm
tony.mon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:15 pm Fit a cheap x ring, then spend the saving on a scottoiler.
...or fit a scottoiler and a ZVM-X chain
Well that is what I have on my bike :D
fabiostar wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:53 pm its a case of only getting what you spend with chains :thumbup:
I agree with Rob on that,

Chris.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Confession time: I bought a Scottoiler two years ago and have yet to get round to fitting it :shh:

I don't mind manually lubing the chain, and like the fact that it means you check the condition frequently.

I know however that I'm a bit stupid not to have installed it yet, since it's undisputed that they massively extend chain life.

Is installation quite easy?
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

jchesshyre wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:07 pm Confession time: I bought a Scottoiler two years ago and have yet to get round to fitting it :shh:

I don't mind manually lubing the chain, and like the fact that it means you check the condition frequently.

I know however that I'm a bit stupid not to have installed it yet, since it's undisputed that they massively extend chain life.

Yes it is very easy to fit,sticking it under the seat is probably the easiest place for the resovoir although you can't get much verticality...……

Still works fine angled a few degree's though.
Minesabityellow

Post by Minesabityellow »

Or it rattles around, turns upside down and dumps its contents over your rear tyre.
TaxiDriver wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:20 pm
jchesshyre wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:07 pm Confession time: I bought a Scottoiler two years ago and have yet to get round to fitting it :shh:

Yes it is very easy to fit,sticking it under the seat is probably the easiest place for the resovoir although you can't get much verticality...……

Still works fine angled a few degree's though.
Or it rattles around, turns upside down and dumps its contents over your rear tyre.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Cable tie it on the rh side, outboard between the subframe and the tail plastics.

Or buy the touring reservoir which fits behind the rear numberplate, althou I don't like the idea of adding weight that far from the c o g.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:07 pm Is installation quite easy?
I would say it was not straightforward, well not in my case, as I wanted to mount it to the seat sub-frame and route the oil feed pipe out of view as much as possible. I have fitted the S/Oiler in behind the seat fairing plastics on the left-hand side of the bike (side stand side).

**EDIT**
Just found a photo of when I was installing mine some years ago :wink:

Chris.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Very difficult to mount to the subframe,as the bodywork usualy won't go back on.

Under the seat with a secure cable tie and it won't dump its contents.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just slide it in place with the bodywork on and cable tie it in place.
But I used to be able to get the bodywork tail plastics off without having to remove mine.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TaxiDriver wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:20 pm Very difficult to mount to the subframe,as the bodywork usualy won't go back on.

Under the seat with a secure cable tie and it won't dump its contents.
Just to confirm. I have had no problems getting the bodywork off or on :lol: with it mounted in that position as in the photo 4 posts back.
It's only been there for 9yrs 8O

Chris.