Replacing cush drive rubbers

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Replacing cush drive rubbers

Post by jchesshyre »

I've asked this question on the fb forum but so far no one's actually answered my question – lots of opinions with very little seeming to be based on actual experience (what did I expect? :lol: ).

I need to replace my cush drive rubbers and can't see why it's necessary to splash out £56 on Honda ones (correct me if I'm wrong!).

In the past I've got TourMax ones which is a brand I know to generally be pretty good quality for pattern parts. They're selling for around £25–30.

However, on eBay there are a fair few listings for sets that are around the £15 mark. Does anyone have reasonably long-term experience with these and knows if they're fine or a false economy?

With most part I apply the maxim of 'buy cheap buy twice' but these are just lumps of rubber FFS...but, if the cheap ones are more like lumps of sh*t plastic then I don't want to waste my money on them.
Last edited by jchesshyre on Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Re: Replacing cush drive rubbers

Post by tony.mon »

If I was planning to manufacture these, what would be my advantage in making them out of another grade of plastic?
So I'm assuming that the cheap ones will be OK.

Even if you have to replace the cheap ones twice as often, say every other rear tyre change, you'd still be better off.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

Ive used ebay ones on my Vtr Blackbird and Cbr6 and they were perfectly ok.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I wonder how many could be cut out from a suitably sized block...

https://www.rubberstock.com/sheeting-ga ... er-blocks/
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Cheers! I think I'll go for the cheap ones then.

Sometimes I see people write things like "they're just circles of rubber at the end of the day" about tyres, or "oil is oil", and I cringe, but with these I think this probably is true!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Genuine ones from DS a bit cheaper than £56

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/VTR ... rt_278150/
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

In my experience with cheaper rubber items (behave yourself at the back :wink: ) for vehicles you're better off buying the OEM part where possible, because they do last longer.

Tourmax do seem however to have a fairly reasonable product on brake parts, although not sure about cush drive rubbers.

It will be interesting to hear how well the cheaper ones last :?:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just change then out for whatever you can afford at the time. Cheaper one will most likely harden up sooner but like you say buy cheap buy twice. The main thing is to fix what you have now.
==============================Enter the Darkside
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Well, there's a lesson learnt. The drive felt just as bad as it did pre-replacement with the new £15 eBay cush rubbers. I've just had the wheel out and the sprocket coupling has over 5 mm of rotational play. I've shimmed it with inner tube and will get a better set in a few pay checks' time!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:46 pm Well, there's a lesson learnt. The drive felt just as bad as it did pre-replacement with the new £15 eBay cush rubbers. I've just had the wheel out and the sprocket coupling has over 5 mm of rotational play. I've shimmed it with inner tube and will get a better set in a few pay checks' time!
Aww unlucky 8O

Chris.