Just lost clocks and lights

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
StuartWags

Just lost clocks and lights

Post by StuartWags »

Just lost speedo, rev counter, odo and lights. The indicators still work and flash on the clock consul. The horn and brakes lights work. I was on the beans about a mile from home when this happened and was able to ride bake. Did a quick look at fuses nothing seen under the seat or on the battery side but will need to check properly to convince myself they are all good.

One bizarre thing i notice the last couple of rides was when the dipped head light was on the main beam indicator light kept flashing when i was pushing on.

Anybody had the same problem and know how to fix it?

I may have replaced the regulator on this with a cheap ebay, finned, copy / replacement a couple of years back. But need to check

Any ideas welcome.
felix barrao

Re: Just lost clocks and lights

Post by felix barrao »

For sure a fuse, re check them. I Made a short circuit in mine installing the oil and temp gauges. If changing it the fuse blows again, you will have to check if you have some eroded wire making a sort.
Good luck
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

fuse and headlight bulb blown. 13.95 volts at the battery when running and revving. some potential new heat damage at the headlight connector. So hopefully just a corroded / poor connection the culprit
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

Also notice one of the wires for the rear light (brown) had had it's insulation breached having been trapped in the seat latch. possible source to
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

I'd also suggest the reg rec may be playing up. Worth a look
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

StormyRob wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:32 pm I'd also suggest the reg rec may be playing up. Worth a look
Agreed - not rued out yet. I have note ridden it yet
bertye

Post by bertye »

Check the earth wire. The VFR VTEC's had a problem were the fairing wires to the main loom are connected and had a recall in the USA. They over heat, loosing all that you have pointed out. Not saying the that the VTR is the same. If it is, worth putting in and extra earth wire straight to the frame, bypassing the loom. If the headlight and tail are out that it is most probably a fuse. If the tail is working could be eathring. The fact that you mention that the high beam light flickers suggest a earth problem as the power will back though it.
Nx2k-boosted

Post by Nx2k-boosted »

Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem?
I’m having the same problem, no odometer, tachometer, oil/neutral light. It is blowing a 10a (meter,tail position) fuse as soon as I turn the key on. I replaced the rectifier with a used one and still same problem. I’m going to check the ground as I’ve read that it could also be causing the problem.

One odd thing I noticed when troubleshooting is that when I put the right indicator on, the rear right does work properly, BUT the left rear indicator also comes on with about 1/3 of brightness. Bizarre and mind boggling. I do have a brand new battery.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

There is a wire short circuit to ground somewhere. It's is going to be hard to find, but look anywhere where the wiring has to flex and this has worn through the insulation and exposed the copper
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can isolate this by unplugging all lights, indicators and the reg rec.
Replace the fuse, assuming it doesn't blow immediately, reconnect items one at a time.
One of the will cause the fuse to blow, then you know where to look.

It's also worth mentioning that the earth at the back of the clocks sometimes corrodes, giving problems with backlighting and tacho, but this is unlikely to be the problem with yours, given the rear indicator issue you mention.

Nk2k:
It's very likely to be a rear indicator wiring issue, if one glows a bit when you put the other side on it may be the earth wire, which will be the colour common to both rear Indy's.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

I can't remember what fixed the problem. It might have been the shorting wire under the seat
Nx2k-boosted

Post by Nx2k-boosted »

Thanks for the feedback guys. So it turns out that it was an aftermarket box that prior owner installed to incorporate signal lights into the tail light. Once removed and rewired, my clocks are back and not blowing the fuse. Now I need to source rear blinkers.
The one thing I noticed is that my Rpm gauge now sits a 4k rpm and my temp sensor goes to hot just by turning the key.

So now the question is what is causing that and how do I calibrate it. I did install a CBR600 regulator/rectifier in an attempt to fix the original problem.
There were three yellow wires and they maybe mixed up.

Anyone had this issue before?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The three yellow wires can go in any order.
Nx2k-boosted

Post by Nx2k-boosted »

I figured they could be interchanged, but wasn’t 100%

What the heck would cause my temp gauge to go to max and RPMs sit at 4k during idle. Something went wonky…
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Despite the new RR, have you metered the voltage?
Otherwise, check all of the earths as a first step, including the ring terminals on the rear of the clocks. They often get furry.

Take the terminals off and clean the contacts- squirting something in their general direction isn't enough.