Choke cable replacement.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRsquid

Choke cable replacement.

Post by VTRsquid »

Ok so have been using a HRC Racing Peg for a while but have had an aftermarket replacement cable kicking around and finally decided to chuck it on. long story short, ive got tank and airbox off and can see no easy way of getting at the choke cables, so parked it there for a bit to attend other matters.
Is there an easier way apart from removing the carbs?
Does the stupid flimsy plastic splash shield come off so i can at least sight if not reach stuff from underneath? And if so should i just leave it off?
MacV2

Re: Choke cable replacement.

Post by MacV2 »

VTRsquid wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:47 am Ok so have been using a HRC Racing Peg for a while but have had an aftermarket replacement cable kicking around and finally decided to chuck it on. long story short, ive got tank and airbox off and can see no easy way of getting at the choke cables, so parked it there for a bit to attend other matters.
Is there an easier way apart from removing the carbs?
Does the stupid flimsy plastic splash shield come off so i can at least sight if not reach stuff from underneath? And if so should i just leave it off?
Yes, two trim clips to the frame at the rear & it clips on at the front at the headstock. There is a seperate small peice on the right where the throttle cables run though... Remove the trim clips, wiggle & pull & it should come out...Can't remember if you have to disconect the throttle cables or not but you will have to pull the small panle bit out first...

You shouldn't have to remove the carbs to to change the cable but it will make it easier if you do.

& NO dont leave the flimsy plastic HEAT sheild off...

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... 327a/frame
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I changed the choke cable many moons ago on a friends VTR - If I recall its just accessing on one of the carbs (rear(?) underneath) to install new cable which is the tricky bit and just involves carfully pulling/wiggling it off the manifold rubber after unscrewing band clamp.

Careful with the brittle placcy choke guides - replacements here> https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00cbb6 ... ducts/7005

And best balance carbs after its back together.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Choke System is described in the VTR's Service Manual (PDF is in the workshop knowldgebase) 5-17

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Thanks guys, will take all that on board when im back home again
Wicky, i really identify with your sig.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Sorry for not checking in, had to put bike on backburner due to life circumstances (and winter) for a bit.
Anyway, the carbs came off easier than i thought, and the cable went on easier than i thought, but it was an aftermarket cable, fits everywhere but at the bracket on the frame . Completely different sizing. So its been hanging by a zip tie until i made a new bracket;