Seat too high!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Knobby69

Seat too high!

Post by Knobby69 »

Any input on how the seat sits correctly would be most welcome. Currently it sits correctly at the front(the tab in the loop) appears to fit correctly(but perhaps too high) at the rear, but never sits correctly in the catch(that moves freely) and is too high in the middle.(how do the what looks like two stages of the catch work?) and the two loops on the subframe look too high. The subframe looks straight, but the seat looks perched on the cowl, rather than snugly fitting. There was some info on the issue on here previously, but I cannot find it now, so any information would be welcome.
Wicky

Re: Seat too high!

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Knobby69

Post by Knobby69 »

Thank you for your reply Wickey and linking me to the old posts
There may be two types of seat and perhaps subframes with subtle differences as I am not the only one to have this problem. It still lies a little high which I will live with. I still have one remaining problem and that is the the rear catch not working correctly. The catch works fine with an allen key inserted, but with the seat in place it clicks quietly, almost as if holding the catch, but it pops off if pulled. It is as if the seat plastic to loop of catch distance is too small and not allowing it to sit as low as required. I have tried grinding away some of the loop and lubing, also bending the catch/cable mount, but it still does not work! There is really nothing to photograph, I cannot see how that can help as the problem is seen under the seat when on the bike.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

"There may be two types of seat and perhaps subframes with subtle differences"

If your seat and subframe are standard then these are the same across all years.

Do you store anything under the seat? is the battery taller than stock? and interfering with the seat as it shoud take a push forward and down to secure.

Is the subframe straight as a crash can subtly distort is out of true. Plus is the seat's key operated cable latch mechanism properly working?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wicky wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:10 pm "There may be two types of seat and perhaps subframes with subtle differences"

If your seat and subframe are standard then these are the same across all years.

Do you store anything under the seat? is the battery taller than stock? and interfering with the seat as it shoud take a push forward and down to secure.

Is the subframe straight as a crash can subtly distort is out of true. Plus is the seat's key operated cable latch mechanism properly working?
Some good suggestions there Wicky :thumbup:

Chris.
Knobby69

Post by Knobby69 »

Thank you again for your suggestions. The catch is opening correctly with the key, it just will not snap shut. It appears that the seat loop does not go into the catch far enough to be "caught" by the catch mechanism. The seat base limits how far down the loop can go before it hits the catch mounting on the subframe. As it catches an allen key easily, it suggests that the fault lies away from the mechanism itself, it appears more of a positional issue.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Let us know your location, someone nearby can let you try their seat to compare.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Wicky wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:10 pm "There may be two types of seat and perhaps subframes with subtle differences"

Not quite true Wicky...F2 & on the subframe & undertray are different in the way the spark box & ecu mount. However there is no difference to how the seat mounts or the catch is mounted.

First thing I'd do is if the seat strap is still on we can assume the hooks are still under the seat...Take them off & try that, maybe the hook loops on the sub frame are bent.

Or as has already been sugested maybe the subframe itself is bent/twisted.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I suppose another possibility is that the seat plastic has warped slightly. I would imagine if a heavyweight was sitting in the seat a lot then the rear pillion part of the seat could raise slightly so in theory bending or warping the plastic in the middle. And if you have the rear seat cowl in place is that sitting correctly on the seat ie tabs all locked into place and is the seat strap tucked out of the way of the front of it. It doesn't take much to make them look a little uneven and if one is a little OCD it will make a difference.
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The seat can be bent when a scrote no-job married to his daughter levers the seat to get a helmet off the helmet lock.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.