Side stand touching exhaust

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Side stand touching exhaust

Post by jchesshyre »

I can't see any other posts about this problem. I've just changed my exhaust headers and now my side stand touches the link pipe when retracted. The silencers are totally symmetrical when viewed from behind and there was no fiddling whatsoever needed to achieve this, so I don't think the header pipes are bent. But I've tried loosening the clamp for the rear header pipe and the left link pipe and shifting the header pipe assembly upwards slightly and this hasn't done the trick, so I'm a bit stumped...
8541Hawk

Re: Side stand touching exhaust

Post by 8541Hawk »

Mine does it with the Akra headers.

After looking over everything, on mine, it looks like the stand and the bit it retracts against have worn over the years.
While I do intend to have a weld bead put on there while I have the engine out in the mean time I made the high quality repair of taking a cable tie and cutting it to the length of the bit the stand folds up against and epoxying it in place.

Yes it does fall off after a bit but it does keep the stand from banging in the header :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
jchesshyre

Re: Side stand touching exhaust

Post by jchesshyre »

Thankfully I've sorted it, and I was being silly and not looking hard enough, just making an assumption. It wasn't banging the pipe itself, but rather the screw for the clamp for the left link pipe. I've rotated the clamp round to a different position and it's fine now!