Indicators, reg/rec & battery cooking...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bobcrowcabbage

Indicators, reg/rec & battery cooking...

Post by bobcrowcabbage »

Hi

I'm a bit of a novice at all this but my lovely Firestorm's front indicators stopped working, the reg/rec got very hot and the battery was smoking and a funny shape when I got home. I put a new r/r and battery in just to see if it was that and the r/r got very hot very quickly again so I disconnected it all.

Where do I start with all this then or shall I just take it down the shop or put her on a boat to Dignitas?

I'd appreciate some advice if you have the energy.

Cheers.
Wicky

Re: Indicators, reg/rec & battery cooking...

Post by Wicky »

You'll need a multimeter, and work through the tests.

https://cl.ly/5b758ace0f9d/download/Tro ... ectrex.pdf

Bike Battery Charging Problems - Troubleshooting & Fixing

This procedure can help you find out why your bike battery does not charge correctly, and help you to fix that. This assumes that your bike has a permanent magnet 3 phase generator, a standard thy-ristor shunt type regulator rectifier (RR unit), and a 12Volt battery. You will need simple workshop tools including a multimeter with clips or an AVO, bits of wire and crimp terminals, a headlamp bulb and a soldering iron.

It’s best to start at the beginning of the chart and work through each step in turn until the problem is found and fixed. It is not so unusual to have more than one problem on a bike charging system, and your bike will work better if all the problems are fixed.

Please use a GOOD battery. The battery must be fully charged up first, using a bench charger. If not available, maybe you can borrow a charged good battery from another bike.

GEN III UPDATE 13 MAY 19 Superhawk MOSFET RR Kit
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

MMS GEN III RR kit.jpg
MMS GEN III RR kit.jpg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
One kit, all common charging system issues addressed.

Spend the money once and be done with it.
If you make your own kit, invest in the tools and proper quality components to do it right, or your just kicking the problems down the road.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
bobcrowcabbage

Post by bobcrowcabbage »

I will do all that. Thank you for your reply...