getting it sorted

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Bikerbob

getting it sorted

Post by Bikerbob »

Riding position, seat height, cct's,TPS , regulator,header nuts, linkage lube, If I'm going to keep the VTR I have to get busy. Its a 98 ,will later bars make a significant change? don't want to mess with hydraulics as they all look new. Its fitted with MAX TORQUE cans without the DB killers,does that normally need re-jetting? ,runs ok apart from pops and bangs on the overrun. Rather than lowering the bike I'm thinking thicker boot heels and maybe sole lifts as it would help with another big vee I'm working on. If I disturb the header nuts does that mean new ex gaskets?.
Shauned71

Re: getting it sorted

Post by Shauned71 »

Exhaust and jetting is not my strong point... I usually swap my cans around and ride as is.. pops and bangs don't bother me. Gaskets.. Im not saying you won't need new but I have dropped plenty of systems and to date have never had to fit gaskets.. I haven't even looked up the hole to see if there are any lol. Bars.. later bars better.. VFR bars much better and you use the same brake lines although you will need someone more knowledgeable to tell you which exact ones you need.. I do have a few sets of various year 750 bars but like I said, im not sure which years are the ones to go for.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you disturb the header nuts it might mean new ex studs.... They shear quite easily.
For peace of mind use a nut splitter and buy new ones. They're m7 threads.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Hi Tony, 3 out of 4 nuts are free and now coppaslipped,the last front lower one starts to bring the stud out. It may be stepped ,is that normal or a repair?. Going to give the caliper pistons a clean , Bit surprised they don't have boots to protect, my 51year old merc does and they are still working!,Don't Honda expect bikes to be used in the rain!, what if any lube do you use to keep piston rust at bay, I have red rubber grease but its not right for the job, stainless/teflon pucks?,Barber jacket wax?!.Draggy brakes are probably one of the reasons bikes are so thirsty compared to cars. Wax was a joke ,but thinking of it, not oil based ,dry resist dust,waterproof, Hmmmm.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

quick answers:

yes I think the studs are stepped as standard.

red rubber grease on the brake pistons is what I use ... but also clean them as part of the yearly maintenance, I don't split them, just clean pistons with brake cleaner and toothbrush and regrease
AMcQ
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Thanks, I'm thinking of ordering manual ccts , the PO was not much of a mechanic but was happy to spend on the bike, so its possible that he has had stoppers fitted, How can I tell??
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Bikerbob wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:33 am Thanks, I'm thinking of ordering manual ccts , the PO was not much of a mechanic but was happy to spend on the bike, so its possible that he has had stoppers fitted, How can I tell??
By removing the bolt on the end of the CCT body, taking note not to drop the sealing washer, and when removing the rear CCT bolt a small amount of oil will come out. I use a cap from a spray can to catch the oil.

Next slide a slim flat blade screwdriver into the end of the CCT body where the bolt came out, turn it slightly so it drop into the slot of the worm/screw. Next turn the screwdriver clockwise with the engine running, if the Stopper Mod has been done you should come up against a stop meaning the screwdriver won't turn clockwise anymore. If it does that then the Stopper Mod has been carried out. I wouldn't turn the screwdriver too far, probably about one full turn being the Max.

Note: turning the screwdriver clockwise is actually putting more slack in the cam chain.

Chris.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Thanks Chris, I have no doubt what you say is correct , but sounds a bit worrysome . Do you have to re-adjust after?. On balance I think I will probably just order some manuals,unless I get a boost of confidence!!. Shame that the TCC's are not marked in some way to make it obvious. If the CCT is still standard what will I feel ??.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Bikerbob wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:37 am Thanks Chris, I have no doubt what you say is correct , but sounds a bit worrysome . Do you have to re-adjust after?. On balance I think I will probably just order some manuals,unless I get a boost of confidence!!. Shame that the TCC's are not marked in some way to make it obvious. If the CCT is still standard what will I feel ??.
If you haven't had the Stopper Mod done to your standard OEM CCT's then you would be able to keep turning the screwdriver clockwise until you could go no further in theory, you would be retracting the plunger fully. In reality this wouldn't happen with the engine running as the cam chain would jump off the cam sprockets before the plunger was fully retracted.

If the Stopper Mod has been carried out correctly you should be fine for 10,000 miles before checking them.

Chris.