Anyone ever serviced a steering damper?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
freeridenick

Anyone ever serviced a steering damper?

Post by freeridenick »

I've just sold my Sprint one that was too long and aquired an LSL replacement. It's a bit squelchy on the lower two settings so I figure it could do with a service. I've found a source of spares seals and internals and hunted around YouTube and it seems like it's entirely possible.

I've not found a vid specifically about LSL but the priciple should work. In fact more than likely it just needs the oil replacing. So I'm wondering if anyone has also tried this and what pitfalls did you come across?
AMCQ46

Re: Anyone ever serviced a steering damper?

Post by AMCQ46 »

Never tried to service my sprint damper, but would be interested to hear how you get on, as mine could do with some new oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I finally got round to having a go at this today. It turned out to be easy on my LSL damper.

I found a service kit in Germany with oil seals and internal parts but only ended up replacing one washer as the rest of it looked OK. The kit came with instructions but it was very similar to a video I found on YouTube: oil seal circlips out at both ends and push the oil seals out. Take the adjuster knob off the end of the damper rod and remove it and the oil seals.

The rod on the LSL separates with a clip whereas the one on the video unscrewed, which would be a bit more awkward having to clamp the rod in a vice. Refitting was simply a case of putting the rod back together and refitting with the rose joint oil seal in place then fill the tube with oil. I used 5wt fork oil which seems to be OK.

The hardest part was working out how much air-gap to leave so the oil seal would fit. It took five goes before I could get the oil seal in far enough so the circlip would go in.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:22 pm I finally got round to having a go at this today. It turned out to be easy on my LSL damper.

I found a service kit in Germany with oil seals and internal parts but only ended up replacing one washer as the rest of it looked OK. The kit came with instructions but it was very similar to a video I found on YouTube: oil seal circlips out at both ends and push the oil seals out. Take the adjuster knob off the end of the damper rod and remove it and the oil seals.

The rod on the LSL separates with a clip whereas the one on the video unscrewed, which would be a bit more awkward having to clamp the rod in a vice. Refitting was simply a case of putting the rod back together and refitting with the rose joint oil seal in place then fill the tube with oil. I used 5wt fork oil which seems to be OK.

The hardest part was working out how much air-gap to leave so the oil seal would fit. It took five goes before I could get the oil seal in far enough so the circlip would go in.
Well done for giving it a go :clap:

Chris.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Thanks for that .

I don't have a steering damper however this is handy to know.

Thanks for going to the trouble.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

thanks nick, that will be one of my winter jobs now
AMcQ