Another Tyre Post - with a twist!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
nigelrb

Another Tyre Post - with a twist!

Post by nigelrb »

Still doing the cleanup on my 'new to me' 1997 VTR. Tyre tread pattern looked unfamiliar to me. Found they were Michelin 90X. Never heard of them.

Did some Googling, and as most VTR devotees will know, these are the original tyre fitted back in 97 to maybe 1999. Checked the date code: 4301 :o . To the uninitiated that is the 43rd week of 2001! Guess I'd better start shopping.
kenmoore

Re: Another Tyre Post - with a twist!

Post by kenmoore »

Can you post a pic of the tread pattern ?

Just curious.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

kenmoore wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:11 pm Can you post a pic of the tread pattern ? . . .
Sure:

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

My bike is a 1999 model. I thought the original tyres on mine were Dunlops, although I may be wrong,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

holy sh1t can you imagine how bad they would be lol :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 i think its time for a new set. :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:34 pm holy sh1t can you imagine how bad they would be lol :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 i think its time for a new set. :lol:
But if I stay up straight I can get a heap more miles on hard rubber! :D

I use Pirellis on most of my other bikes. Will probably get Rosso Diablos but could swing to Metzeler M7RR because of their good reputation.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv just tried a set of Road 5s... :D :D . cant fault them in all sorts of weather and the grip in the dry is more than i will ever need thats for sure, after 2500 miles the rear is showing no signs of loosing its profile either..

my blue yoke has Avon 3d ultras which i have to say are nice aswell but havnt got the miles on them yet to see how they will wear, its hard to buy a bad tyre these days i suppose :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

Original tyres were Dunlop, can't remember the model number (possibly a D202 or 203), they were a sport touring tyre but had the sports compound off the D207 and were made like this as OE fitment for the Firestorm only, they were actually a very good tyre for the time, good sports tyre grip with more tread groves.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s